Lee gear box question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
colby

Lee gear box question

I have a Lee gear box and went to install the new rag joint and column and there is about 1" difference between the two. The column is spaced all the way back and I double checked all the other tolerances and everything seems to be where it needs to be. The only difference I can see is my original 69 Camaro tilt column was a column shift and I traded for a floor shift out of a Chevelle. Exactly the same column, double checked the lengths and they were exactly the same, so I am not sure that was it. I used my original Camaro column mount and just had to align up the holes that were less than .125" off so I don't think that is it either. My only other thought would be the spline length on the Lee box seems to be slotted pretty far down to except the rag joint...I might be able to regrind a new slot further up the shaft to make up the difference or am I missing something dumb here? Any ideas? Thanks in advance fellas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Lee gear box question

Check with Lee Mfg. I believe they use a different rag joint.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
colby

Re: Lee gear box question

Awwwwwww hells bells! I hope your right because I was about to blow a gasket! Thanks for the quick answer

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If they built the box out of a later model box, then yeah you need the correct coupling and yours probably wouldn't go on the splines anyway. Call them and ask if it requires the early 80's Chevy 4x2 truck coupling. If so, they will offer to sell you a GM one for about $75 but you can get the Dorman 31011 from Rock Auto for $41 after searching google for a Rock Auto discount code. Or if you're in a real itch for it they have them at most parts stores for around $60.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 07:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevan

So the Dorman 31011 rag is the exact same as the one you would get for a Lee box through ATS?

67 RS
540, T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, 12 Bolt w/4:10's
(I haven't changed anything that can't be changed back)

Nicole:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67'540cu View Post
So the Dorman 31011 rag is the exact same as the one you would get for a Lee box through ATS?

If they are building their box on a late model Saginaw box with 3/4" input shaft then it is supposed to work. You'd have to verify through Lee Mfg if that is the one you need. Super Chevy or someone did an article with Lee Mfg and gave the part number for the GM coupling ($75) and also the Dorman part number as a lower cost alternative. It's the one needed to fit the IROC, Monte Carlo SS, or Caprice police box to a first gen steering column.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=16166

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Last edited by Steiner; Feb 23rd, 10 at 08:44 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 10, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
colby

Thanks guys. The amount of knowledge that can be gleaned here is amazing! I will check with Lee and post what I find. Thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
colby

So I checked with Lee and they said I need to extend the column. I guess I didn't realize that they telescoped. He said there is like 4" of telescope in a factory column but most the time they are corroded stuck. I haven't had a chance to get home and check it out yet but I never would have guessed. Tell me I am the only one that didn't know that?! Feeling pretty silly about it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 10, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar View Post
So I checked with Lee and they said I need to extend the column. I guess I didn't realize that they telescoped. He said there is like 4" of telescope in a factory column but most the time they are corroded stuck. I haven't had a chance to get home and check it out yet but I never would have guessed. Tell me I am the only one that didn't know that?! Feeling pretty silly about it

You were brave enough to come back and tell everyone. That's more than you'd get out of me.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 10, 04:10 AM
Guess

I had no idea the column 'adjusted'. And I've had mine apart a couple times.
The only adjustment I thought they had was when you hit a wall and they collapse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode