Bill

Power Steering Bleed Question

Hey guys,

My power steering setup is as follows:

1.) 1969 GM power steering box
2.) Braided stainless hoses (new)
3.) GM Type II power steering pump
4.) ZOOPs remote resivoir

My problem is this- It continually pushes fluid out of the weep hole on top of the resivoir, and the fluid foams up like crazy.

Seems like an easy problem- it's not bled, right? Well, bear with me.

The first time I bled it, I spun the wheel 10 or so times, topped off the fluid level, and then had the engine running while I turned the wheel back and forth a lot. Pressure built, it took some fluid, and I got power assist, so I removed the cap and let the foam subside. Started it up a few hours later and it was still fine. I took the car out for a drive and it slowly lost power steering, and pushed a lot more fluid back out.

Thinking I bled it wrong and still had air, I called up ZOOPs and asked what they said to do. They said to put the wheels in the air, leave the engine off, and spin the wheel 50 times from lock to lock. This kind of sucked (try it sometime ) but I did it, and the assist returned and works fine.

BUT, the fluid is still foaming, and it's still pushing out of the weep hole. It's not overfilled as the resi is at 2/3 exactly. I triple checked the hose routing, including making sure the diverter is on the right port in the resivoir.

My question is this- how much air is IN a system like this. Once you get constant assist, isn't it pretty much done being bled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 09:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Power Steering Bleed Question

A guy here at work had a similar problem on a late model Impala. Turned out to be the return line had a small hole that was letting air be sucked into the pump. Might be worth checking into.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 10:27 AM
Kevin

Bill, I would guess you have a leak at the fittings, I have heard of miniscule air leaks that allow air into the system, but not leak much externally.

Kevin

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech

What is a diverter? What is a Zoops remote reservoir? Do you have pictures or can you describe it?

It is possible for a connection leak on the low pressure side of the system to actually suck air into the fluid circuit and yet not leak oil.

Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks for your input, guys. I removed the suction hose and tested it to make sure it wasn't pulling air and it was fine. What I think the issue was is fluid level. It's kind of an odd situation:

When the engine was off, I filled it to about halfway like I had been doing before. Then when I turned it on, the level got very low and it was sucking in some air and foaming. So I added some more fluid to fill it back to halfway and the sucking and foaming stopped- it got a nice swirl without a single bubble. The pump also quieted down to the point that I could not hear it.

However, once I shut it off the level shot up with a lot of bubbles and it pushed out the air bleed hole again. When I took the cap off to look the level was all the way at the top. Also, I took it for a drive when the fluid level was still in the middle with no foam and there were no dead spots or lack of assist- but the pump was HOWLING and was much louder than the engine or exhaust.

What do you think? I still have some air trapped in there somewhere? Could the belt be too tight? Both?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 08:46 AM
Kevin

Bill, as long as the level of the fluid is above the level of the internal pump intake, you should not be getting sucking air. How is the pump mounted? straight up or on an angle? I would still tighten the connections some more and try adjusting the fluid level a little at a time. luck!

Kevin

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech

Pump reservoirs are not just a can to hold excess fluid. Fluid returning from the gear to the reservoir should enter the reservoir and have a section where the fluid can "calm" and any air bubbles have time to rise to the surface before the fluid is sucked back into the pump.

A faulty reservoir design could just direct the returning fluid directly back into the pump intake. This could have a cascading affect in that a few bubbles could multiply each time the air bubbles were thrashed by the pumping vanes inside the pump.

This sounds complicated but it is usually done with internal baffles or even a fine filter screen inside the reservoir. I would suggest that you try to cobble some type of remote reservoir from some other steering system in place of the Zoops reservoir and see if it makes a difference. All major OEM systems have remote reservoirs with the return spouts and internal baffles that are carefully designed for just this reason.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode