Coil Over Shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

Coil Over Shocks

I need to change the shocks and springs in my car. I want to lower it. So i was looking at QA1 shocks and HOTCHKIS springs. Now i see for the same money i can buy QA1 coil overs. Do the coil overs lower the car? or just leave it at stock height? Any of you guys running this setup? pictures would be great. I was still going to run lowering leafs in the rear.
Thanks! Mark

68 SS CAMARO 355,victor jr. intake,performer rpm heads,Quick Fuel carb,Isky z-27 solid cam,TKO 600,4.11 12 bolt,Hotchkis springs front & rear,Flowmaster exhst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 12:13 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Coil Over Shocks

For the front you can adjust ride height and different springs give different rates.

For the rear you'd have to lose the leafs,add brackets (usually need welded) so adding coil-overs to the rear isn't cheap... but there are bolt-in kits..again, not cheap.

Lots of options out there, just depends or your cash flow,ability,wants,and needs.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

So what your saying is the front coil overs are adjustable, where the HOTCHKIS springs are just one height. right?

68 SS CAMARO 355,victor jr. intake,performer rpm heads,Quick Fuel carb,Isky z-27 solid cam,TKO 600,4.11 12 bolt,Hotchkis springs front & rear,Flowmaster exhst.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
Nevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk/gld 68 View Post
So what your saying is the front coil overs are adjustable, where the HOTCHKIS springs are just one height. right?
That's correct, you can also get different spring rates for the coil overs as well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

I think i will go with the HOTCHKIS front and rear(so they will match) and the QA1 shocks. I see DSE makes the same drop springs front & rear, are they any better? or worse? Any input? I see them on the sponser section.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech

Both are great products. I would look into the spring rates, not sure which is stiffer or if that matters to you.
I have hotchkis and love em.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 10, 11:03 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We offer QA1, Hotchkis, DSE, ect.....I'm sure we can be of help here....Feel free to PM or call for advice, we have done ALL of these setups many times!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB View Post
We offer QA1, Hotchkis, DSE, ect.....I'm sure we can be of help here....Feel free to PM or call for advice, we have done ALL of these setups many times!
Thanks Matt you will be getting a call

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

If I had it to do over again I'd buy these http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...tml#tabcontent along with their short circle track springs which are available in many different spring rates. The adjustable coil-overs sound nice, but seem expensive for setting the ride height once. I have the Hotchkis and wound up using a spacer under one spring to get the ride height where I want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I used the QA1 coil-overs up front their adj. shocks in the rear. True you will likely set it just once and leave it but at least you can put it exactly where you want it. I wanted them cause of that and also cause I knew I'd be upgrading to larger wheels and could reset my height (which I did). Later I'll be lowering the rear some more and then can come back and fine tune the fronts accordingly. So the versatile adjustability is something that continues to be an advantage in my case. Also - if you want to take a car on 1,000 mile road trip it may be worth setting the ride-height a little higher for some more travel. It only takes 10 min. and you don't even get your hands dirty. The shock adjustability has also been great to fine tune my ride (front & rear).. I'm not patient enough to post pics on a site and then transfer them over here (I need to get over that) but if you send me an e-mail I'd be happy to send you some pics of mine that I took during the installation.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 04:05 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Bill's statement is pretty much in line with most of our customers opinions! Things change and tastes change....Its a ONE TIME investment that allows a lot of future options...We have got it down pretty well which coils to use with what motor combos and what the customers desired end result is.

We have not had one failure, warranty claim, ect...and have been selling them for 9 years now.

We do PREFER to setup a Tubular lower arm with them just because ALL of the cars front weight is supported in a very low area of the arm where the coilover "T" bar bolts to.

Most companies offer a lower arm made specifically for coilovers with no spring pocker and reinforced plates.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Al

No argument here, it looks like a neat set-up. For those w/o unlimited funds however, the AFCO adjusters and springs in the rate of your choice costs $130. Add premium shocks (~$100/ea) and you're at $330. And every bit as adjustable as the coilover set-up, but admittedly a labor intensive operation. Works w/stock LCAs.

PS If you DO change your front end height, you should also consider an alignment as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 10, 11:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Luke

If you do decide to do a coilover setup which is the best way to go to allow adjustability I would strongly recommend you go with a true coilover design and not the QA1 "hybrid" coilover as the top of the spring needs to be attached to the upper portion of the shock so that both the shock and spring travel on the same plane which the QA1's hybrid does not and when they dont travel on the same plane the shaft in the shock has a tendency to bend and cause the shock to fail. The tech guys at QA1 even recommend not using their "hybrid" coilover. just spend a little time searching the web

The Varishock conversion coilover is the only true "bolt in" coilover. http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1081...25-travel.aspx and well worth the $
DSE and ATS also make great coilover conversion kits but require some fabrication but also well worth it. just trying to save you from wasting your hard earned $ as I have replaced many failed QA1 Hybrid coilovers on customer cars over the years.

Luke Mau
L & H Kustoms

Pro Billet Components
503-668-2833

Authorized Dealers For:
*Bear brakes *Wilwood Engineering*ISIS Power *Yukon Gear *Chris Alston Chassisworks *Varishock *Rushforth Wheels *American Auto Wire *Pro Touring F Body *KP Components *Total Control Products *Rick's Hot Rod Tanks
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 02:18 PM

What's with the QA1 bash ? I have installed a dozen plus pairs of their coil-over units and have had a pair in my personel car for over three years. I have sold at least thirty more pair to on line customers. Never had a failure ! And as far as the tech from QA1 not recomending their own product ? Give us a break.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 03:49 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Yeah, I have never had to warranty or replace a unit to this day. Lots of local customers running around with them on. I don't see how the rod could bend since the top is bushed and the swing is minimal the the control arm....At least with normal suspension travel??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode