Master Cylinder Help/Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Master Cylinder Help/Advice

Guys;

I want to detail my engine bay while my motor (302) is being prepped for install. I have a 69 Z/28 with power brakes; front disks and rear drums. My Mastery Cylinder and booster are kinda crapped-up and I'm thinking of going through that stuff while I can get at it. I'm thinking about going to big brakes at some point, but won't be part of my engine swap project. Should I just go with a stock master and booster, or would you recommend that I start the upgrade now, and move out toward the brakes when time/money permits? I'm not too familiar with all these brake upgrade kits, and whether you can do partial upgrades or if it all has to be done at one time. Thanks for your advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tony's '69 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 10, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
red

Re: Master Cylinder Help/Advice

My first thought would be why do you want big brakes. Power brakes on your car right now should be good. My thinking would be redue your current M/C and booster. Drive your car and really see if you want to change your brakes. Then if so, your current setup will be clean and rebuilt. Keep it all together and replace with the conversion all at once with a complete setup. Originallity of brake parts would not be destroyed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

A rebuild master cylinder is cheap enough to just get one that is correct for now. Upgrade the master along with the brakes later.

The booster on the other hand will work for these brakes or the upgrades.
So either replace this one or repaint it and make it look good.

I am sorry but "originality of brake parts" the car is 40 years old, everything has been replaced at least once already.
Upgrade the brakes if you want.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 10, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

One word of advise..never use reman master cylinders...I've
been in automotive repair business for over 45 years and reman master cylinder and water pumps aren't worth the boxes they come in.
buy good quailty new and be done with it. Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Thanks for the advice, guys! Yes, I'm sure these brakes have been done more than once. The numbers on the booser and MC don't match to what they should be from the factory. I will probably just replace Booster and MC with new parts, and decide on an upgrade later on if necessary. Thanks again.

Tony's '69 -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 10, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Any suggestions on where to get master and booster?

Tony's '69 -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 10:54 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We do have the aftermarket AND factory style booster/Master kits....We have the Delco stamped boosters, 309 cast masters and round hold off valves.

However if you plan on going big brake later I would set you up with the aftermarket style prop kits....Then the prop can be modified in the future to run rear disc and you can run now with rear drums.

Let me know if I can be of any help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Well don't put a MC on the car that will work with some brake system you plan on for down the road. Put an MC on the car that is designed to work with the brakes you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode