3" Drop? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

3" Drop?

I installed Hoctchkiss 2" drop coil springs on my 67 and i have been very happy with the way it looks and drives. I finally have the money saved up to do the rear but I'm concerend that the 1.5 " drop won't be low enough. Can I install there 3" drop on the rear with out it looking like it is sagging in the rear?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: 3" Drop?

Can never be to low in my opinion.....

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

My 69 has the Hotchkis 2" front and 1.5 rear drop springs. When I first bought the car it had 20" wheels on the rear with 2" lowering blocks along with the 1.5 dropped springs and rubber pads. When put 17" wheels on the car the rear sat a little lower in the rear than the front. When I removed the 2" blocks it sat too high in the rear. I cut the blocks down to 1" and put them back in with the rubber pads and now the car has the perfect stance IMO at approx 1" higher than the front.

The front tire just barely tucks under the fender with the rear sitting flush with the lip.

So I figure the 3" drop rear springs would get me the approx stance without the blocks and without the rubber pads?

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you go with the 3" drop, and it sits too low for your tastes, it's a bitch to raise the rear. If you go with the 1.5" springs and it's too high, it's very easy to lower it a bit.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm looking for a level stance. I don't want any rake to it at all if possible. I really don't want to have to change out the front coil springs again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 10, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I'd recommed the 1 1/2" lowering springs and adjust from there. I wound up with 1.5" drop springs + 3/4" lowering blocks to get mine level. Same springs as yours in the front. (see sig)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where did you guys get your lowering blocks from and are they ok to use. I recall when I was in to trucks that it was not a good idea to use lift blocks, and that lift springs were the way to go. I know were going down not up in this case but i'm just curious what your thoughts are.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 10, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I made my own out of plate aluminum purchased at my local hardware store. I cut them to the size I wanted, something like 2 1/4 x 5 1/2", not sure exactly. Drilled a 3/8" hole in the center. Got a longer bolt fot the middle of the leaf spring and bolted them onto the spring. I put a washer between the block and the spring, because there is a very slight arch in the spring at that point, and I didn't want them to break when I tightened the bolt. I wouldn't be crazy about a really thick lowering block, but 3/4" or 1" doesn't bother me. Also, I am not using any rubber pads.

I think a company called AFCO makes them as well. Here they are http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-A...cks,40243.html

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the info. The current suspension set up is a multileaf system with what i think are called slapper bars? What else might I need to convert to the Hocthkiss system?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 01:28 PM
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm67 View Post
I installed Hoctchkiss 2" drop coil springs on my 67 and i have been very happy with the way it looks and drives. I finally have the money saved up to do the rear but I'm concerend that the 1.5 " drop won't be low enough. Can I install there 3" drop on the rear with out it looking like it is sagging in the rear?

Thanks
If you have the 2 drop springs up front, the better choice will be the 1.5 2407C leafs for back. You can see a similar set up on the orange car in our slideshow:
http://www.hotchkis.net/slideshows/index.php?ID=16

In order to use the 3 leafs, you would want to upgrade to the 3 front coils as well.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 07:38 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Im running the 2" Hotchkis coils on mine in the front with 3" DSE rear leafs. Stance is just about perfect.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode