Sport Wheel Hub GM Part issue - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

Sport Wheel Hub GM Part issue

I bought the Comfort Grip steering wheel KIT from a vendor to install on my 69 Camaro. It uses the same hub as the wood wheel-Rosewood or Walnut.
So the hub that comes in the kit mounts on the steering column but leaves an unsightly gap about a 1/4 inch or more between the hub
and the column--not good. I have seen 69 Camaros at shows with a Rosewood and also with the Comfort Grip that have no ugly gap. So where did they get their hub. This has now become an extemely large pain in the
*** for me. I sent back 3 hubs -- none of the repros fit correct.

Okay so I go on Ebay and spend 75.00 dollars for a GM hub that is
"supposed" to be the original and correct hub that was used from the factory. GM part number 3937896. I figured I cant go wrong with the original part. Boy was I wrong again. Its fits exactly like the 3 repros I had. It leaves an ugly 1/4 inch or more gap. This sucks and is wrong
and Im not accepting a fit like that. Especially when I know the correct hub exists out there cause Ive seen 69 Camaros with a nice tight fit hub.

If anyone knows for sure the corrrect 69-70 comfort grip steering wheel hub that a 69 Camaro uses and the GM part number can you please let me know. I WAS ASSURED THAT THE 3937896 WAS THE CORRECT ONE FOR A 69 CAMARO. IT IS NOT.
ONE MORE THING -- I KNOW THAT THE STEERING COLUMN IN MY CAR IS THE ORIGINAL CORRECT 69 CAMARO STEERING COLUMN AND HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED. IT IS NOT A TILT COLUMN EITHER. IT IS A STANDARD COLUMN. MY CAR HAS A FLOOR SHIFT WITH CONSOLE ALSO. I HOPE
SOMEONE CAN ONCE AND FOR ALL TELL ME WHAT OR WHERE ON EARTH TO GET THE RIGHT HUB BECAUSE I AM COMPLETELY DISGUSTED AT THIS POINT AND TIRED OF THROWING MONEY AWAY ON SHIPPING, RETURNING, AND BUYING MORE STUFF THAT IS WRONG. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
JOHN C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: Sport Wheel Hub GM Part issue

John, the 3937896 hub is the correct one for a 69 Camaro, so I have no idea why you're having this issue. Perhaps you're not tightening it down far enough?

Click HERE for info on first gen steering wheels. (Check out the chart at the bottom of the page.)

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

It stops dead at a certain point and hits the tapered part of the column shaft where it starts to get thicker. Even if i put the nut on and tighten it down the hub only goes on a bit and stops. There is still a 1/4 inch of space and it looks like crap. I dont understand this at all. My column certainly appears to be the original one to the car. I dont know how to resolve this other than to put the stock steering wheel back on the car.
Thanks for the info - i appreciate it. Nice fotos.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

John, post some good (high resolution) pictures of your column (naked, without the hub installed), and a few of the hub itself (front and back), and then a few of the hub installed (front and back with the gap). Maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

Is it possible that I need the 68 Hub as my car was built in late 1968?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

How did your original wheel fit? Did it also have the same gap? Maybe the problem is not in the hubs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

The original stock steering wheel fit perfect. Is there a slot or a spline area where a spline is missing and I have to position the hub a certain way for it to go "all the way down" ??? Maybe there's a specific way to install this thing that Im not aware of.
Anyone know anything let me know
thanks again--John
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JDCAST

Last nite I put my standard factory steering wheel back on to compare
and it also has a bit of a gap as well and seems to stop just where the Sport Wheel hub stops that I wrote about here. So I think that my shaft
is a bit too far up and should be adjusted and pushed down a 1/4 inch.

My theory is that it just came that way from the factory and that some
columns came with a bit tighter clearance there and some did not. I've
seen 69 Camaros with the Sport Wheel (Comfort Grip, Rosewood, take your pick) and the same hub as mine and they had a nice tight fit with no
ugly gap. Perhaps there is a way to adjust. I spoke to a Steering Column
guy and he says there is. I dont feel like yanking my entire column out of the car at the moment. I'll just live with it. If anyone has any other advice or ideas Id love to hear about it....many thanks to all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I read a thread while doing a search about how to adjust the column and it seemed fairly straight forward. If I can find it, I'll update with a link.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode