1969 Power steering modification? Headers dont fit. HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

1969 Power steering modification? Headers dont fit. HELP!

Is there anything I can do to swap out...update...convert..or modify my power steering box so that I can get more room for my headers? I have done ENDLESS research to find full length 1 3/4" headers that will fit a 69 with angle plug heads and my current steering box (which I believe is a 800) and there just isn't any out there. I have been using 65003 Hedmans but the new 65003 design just doesnt fit. The 1st tube is dented so much that it went from a 1 3/4 to 1 1/4...and it still needs another 1/2". I can't do that. Any kind of steering conversion kit out there for maximum space? Any help is greatly appreciated.. especially if you can include pics or links.

Last edited by STM69; Mar 25th, 10 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 1969 Power steering modification? Headers dont fit. HELP!

I had to grind my steering box in that area with my dougs d368 to get 1/4 inch clearance.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I had to beat on mine:

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

If new headers are an option, I used Dynatech 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 in stepped.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-401-911301/

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Hot Rods

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
TC

Are you using the same gaskets or are they thicker? Maybe try thinner gaskets. Remember the motor will torque away from the box so it is as close as it most likely ever be. Maybe exchange them for a different set if they are new or try another brand. Another option , Let it releve itself if it does hit and let them get hot and then use a lever such as a prybar or something if you need to releve it some more. Just my 2 cents.

1968 Camaro RS orig AC car, ZZ Fatburn, Doug's D368 Headers, Tremec TKO600 w/ Hurst Blackjack, 12 Bolt Posi 3:73 mulitleaf, SFC's, Budniks, Hotchkis, Magnaflow, etc
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man View Post

I was actually looking at those before buying the Hedmans.. 3 questions.. Did you have any trouble getting that 1st tube up inbetween the head and steering box? Do you know what box you have? And, do you have an angled plug head?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Z8RS View Post
Are you using the same gaskets or are they thicker? Maybe try thinner gaskets. Remember the motor will torque away from the box so it is as close as it most likely ever be. Maybe exchange them for a different set if they are new or try another brand. Another option , Let it releve itself if it does hit and let them get hot and then use a lever such as a prybar or something if you need to releve it some more. Just my 2 cents.
I can't even bolt the new set on. They are dimpled to hell and the top of the header's flange is still 1/2" away from touching the head. The pics above are the old 65003s. I would have to dimple another 1/2" into the 1st tube to create enough angling space. by then.. 1 3/4" just went to 3/4". So I can't exchange them. I have to re-use my old headers (worn out) and sell the new dimpled ones on Ebay for a loss.

Last edited by STM69; Mar 25th, 10 at 11:12 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 11:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I'm going to go 'outside of the box' for you a bit. Bear with me. When I put my motor in (crate motor), my oil pan was sitting on the frame. I had to dimple my headers a bit to make room, as I too have angled plugs, but my steering box is a DSE (don't know if that makes a difference). To fix the oil pan issue, I had to put a spacer under my motor mounts. I got about 1/4" now under my pan, and when everything was done, I noticed that my dimple was no longer needed as it moved the header 'up' and changed the angle a bit. So I don't know if you want to try changing your motor mounts around a bit and thereby lowering or raising your motor, to change the relationship of your headers to your box.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:

The more I look at these the more I think they'll fit. I opened up a new window with this same thread...shrunk down the page on each pic (my headers / your headers) and put them side by side. If you have a second, try it and see what you think.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 12:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM69 View Post
I was actually looking at those before buying the Hedmans.. 3 questions.. Did you have any trouble getting that 1st tube up inbetween the head and steering box? Do you know what box you have? And, do you have an angled plug head?
No problems with the fit, stock Z/28 steering box straight plugs, although there have been posts with guys running them on angle plug heads. I do like the 4 bolt collector flanges. Hereís a couple close ups.

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When I was running headers back in the 80s I dismantled the pipes from the plate and shortened each pipe but just over 1/4 " never really had a choice as it was not practical to send them back across the pacific ocean to exchange.
Since then..now I have truck rams horms with a similar issue
The engine mount peg is shimmed up about 1/4" about 1/8" off the cnr of the sterring box cnr, and cleaned up the rams horns...all casting marks ground off smooth and now I believe there was no need to shim up the engine peg...never got around to taking them out.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
No problems with the fit, stock Z/28 steering box straight plugs, although there have been posts with guys running them on angle plug heads. I do like the 4 bolt collector flanges. Hereís a couple close ups.

If you are going to show the under body... you might want to clean it up first. Geez.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 10, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM69 View Post
If you are going to show the under body... you might want to clean it up first. Geez.
I wish mine was that messy, maybe it's my starter that makes it look worse?!

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode