Power Steering Pump - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Power Steering Pump

During my travel to a car show out of town today I lost my power steering. Was leaking fluid when I stopped. Got a ride to the auto parts and picked up some fluid filled up before I left. There was no improvement in steering. By the time I got home alot of the fluid had leaked out. figured a hose leak but couldn't see where it was leaking. I plan on changing the hoses and replacing the pump. Is there any brand that is recommended for the replacement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 10:26 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Power Steering Pump

I haven't heard of any special brands, but NAPA seems to usually have good quality. The return hose is low pressure so it's usually the pressure hose that goes out.

Why not try a new hose and see if that is enough? if the pump didn't run dry it should be OK. If you do change pumps, keep the old one and make sure you swap over all the parts, the pressure/flow valve and outlet fitting is usually not in the new pump and you have to swap over your old parts.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

David, after looking at it today it looks like the high pressure line is where the problem started. The attached picture with the red line shows where the fluid was leaking from. I'm not sure why this fitting is in line. I removed the fitting and it was flared. Re-tighten the fitting and put some more fluid in and it leaked again. Not sure if the entire hose is incorrect. As for the pump it did run dry I'm guess for some time on the trip back at it was about an hour drive in each direction. So I guess I'm at a point should I correct the hose problem and see if I'm lucky and the pump did not burn up or just look for a pump and hose now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	15023  

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 10, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Update the flair in the fitting was cracked half way around. Went this morning and had a hose made with the correct fitting and eliminate the small tube section altogether. I'm going to replace the power steering pump also.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode