Frame connector mounting issues pls help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Frame connector mounting issues pls help

Hi all, I am installing competition engineering frame connectors on my 68 and when i tighten down the 2 bolts in the rear (under the spring hanger) the front part of the connector that slides into the front frame rail wants to go down as i tighten it...

it drops approx 2" from the inside top rail where it is supposed to sit, should i use a jack to get it into place than install the body mount, drill and bolt it.

it does say to do that in the instructions to make sure it is up all the way before bolting but should i do it to get it up the two inches...

I have the car on four jack stands, Two under front frame rails and the rear are under frame rails right beside where the spring hanger bracket bolts in

thanks mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: frame connector mounting issues plz help

The car needs to be sitting on its suspension, otherwise you may twist or flex the frame and body. Place the rear jack stands under the axle. Remove the front jack stands and block up the front wheels to raise the car.
That may solve this problem.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Frame connector mounting issues pls help

Along with Andrew's suggestion, loosen the rear most subframe bolt, place f/conn as per instructions, slide it in I think, leave the bolt loose, jack up the rear of the f/conn, attach the rear bolts and tighten, then tighen the subframe bolt.

It is what it is. You might smear on some antiseize onto all bolt threads to help yourself later in life. You'll appreciate it. You also might take a flea market 9/16 box end wrench and heat it and bend it to fit into hole to capture the nut on the J-nut to hold while tightening. Don't lose the wrench.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Run to Wal-Mart and get a set of Blitz ramps. Lower the front tires onto those and then put your stands under the rear axle.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

thank guys i kinnda figured that might be a bit of an issue being up on stands, only trouble is i got no rear end in er now, replacing everything all at once so i guess i will have to do the frame connectors last once i can bring it down to the floor...

i am also doing all the frame mounts, should they be done on stands one at side at a time or down on the ground also
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I did all of my mounts on stands. Not sure what difference it would be either way. Robert

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you mean the body bushings, alum? good idea with f/conn, they can be done one side at a time.
You can loosely bolt in the f/conn, then finish tightening once its on the floor.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 10, 08:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
If you mean the body bushings, alum? good idea with f/conn, they can be done one side at a time.
You can loosely bolt in the f/conn, then finish tightening once its on the floor.
As Everett said you could go ahead and put the subframe connectors in place and tighten up all the fasteners later after it is sitting on the suspension. There is no need to waste the time and efforts you have already made.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode