Wanted! Power steering with limited space. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Bobby

Wanted! Power steering with limited space.

I have a 68 camaro with a 402 BB and limited space, I'm considering putting the power steering back on it but since switching to the BB nothing old fits anymore. My alternator is mounted high on the driver side, so the box would probably need to be mounted lower for space problems, on the same side. I am running a short water pump, Victor series, again for space issues. Would there be any of you guys out there that tried this and maybe know where I can get a bracket (and maybe other accessories like pulleys) to make this work. Thank for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Wanted! Power steering with limited space.

Welcome to TC Bobby!

Did you change over to the correct engine frame stands and trans crossmember when the BBC was installed? Do you have some huge headers that are causing clearance issues?

The reason I ask is because, if the engine is mounted correctly and has headers that fit a 68 Camaro with power steering, the "old" steering box should fit up fine (tight clearance, but it should fit). Also, if the alternator is mounted up high on an OE style mount bracket(s), there should be plenty of room for the power steering pump below.

67-68 big block cars use the same style power steering pump, so the only thing you should really need to get is the correct 67-68 big block power steering pump mounting brackets, like these: http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3492

The hoses, pump, and gear box from the small block should all still fit and work with the big block.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Wanted! Power steering with limited space.

Just a heads up. You may have problems getting the small block PS pump to fit. If I remember correctly the BBC pump has a different bend in the return line outlet ? You might not have a problem, but you never know.

You are also correct that nothing is the same as SB. Everything is available to make it fit correctly, though. As Eric mentioned it is important to have BBC frame mounts AND a BBC transmission crossmember. If you tried to set the BB on SB frame mounts and if you have a SB transmission crossmember, you are going to have problems. The only headers, that I know of, that will fit this way are a custom made by Lemon's Headers.

Parts suppliers : Ricks First Generation; NPD (national parts depot); Classic Industries; Year One; Steve's Camaro Parts and many more.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Apr 23rd, 10 at 09:59 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

check out billet specialties set ups

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

The power steering pump configuration for 69 models is different for small vs. big block; 67-68 use one pump for V8 and one pump for L6.

Eric
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Wanted! Power steering with limited space.

Thanks Eric for clarifying that for me !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech

No prob! I learned it the hard way when I did this 69; I had both a 69 small block and 67-68 V8 pump here, and neither would work, so I had to shell out for the 69 BBC pump.

Eric
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Bobby

Awesome, Thanks for the input guys. I guess in the future I need to drop more info in my descriptions. The power steering gear box is mounted still from the small block i just have the hosed cut and routed into one another (basically manual steering). Been like that for a while now. I want to get a new box and pump (some thing similar to what CPP offers) and I run a custom set up that I made that puts my alternator on the driver side with tall valve covers, 1 3/4 custom headers I made but the space is still tight, so this all brings me to the question will a low mount ps unit run with my belt/ pulley set up. I guess no one can answer that one for me, lol, I will probably have to do more fab work but I may try the bracket you linked and go from there. Thanks again for the input and part ideas! Oh and I am running correct frame mounts for BB and the original transmission cross-member because I'm still running the same Tranny Turbo 350 (every thing seemed to bolt right up and fit fine), I just beefed it up internally to handle my BB.

Last edited by 68hottrod; Apr 23rd, 10 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot some information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
power steering, steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode