What is this thing on my steering column? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

What is this thing on my steering column?

Attachment 15475

Attachment 15476

So I was putting on my new gear box and the metal bracket that was on that end fell off! I noticed it is supposed to have a pinch bolt on it like the rag joint, but nothing is there. Where do I get another pinch bolt and what is that thing that hanging off to the side of the column(that has a hole in it)? It moves back and forth, but is not mounted to anything.

Last edited by moserjs; Jan 1st, 11 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 02:27 PM
David Pozzi

Re: What is this thing on my steering column?

In 1969 GM started using a lockout that connected to the manual trans shift linkage. You had to be in reverse in order to start the car. The lever operates the neutral safety switch on top of the steering column. If this is disconnected and it moves, the car usually won't start until you rotate the column back to the proper position. For automatic floor shift cars it may have connected to the trans shift arm to enable start in park, or maybe it was a stick only thing. Column shift cars used this type arm too.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 10, 02:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There is linkage that goes from that bracket to your automatic or manual on the floor shifted transmission, it keeps the engine from starting when in gear. There are 2 "Lock Rods" and a bell crank that often are removed for header clearence.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

I have a auto tranmission with floor shifter. It doesn't start unless in park. Do I need this thing or should I leave it swing there? And does anybody know where I can get that pinch bolt. It is the same size and threading of my rag joint pinch bolt.

Thanks guys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by moserjs View Post
I have a auto tranmission with floor shifter. It doesn't start unless in park. Do I need this thing or should I leave it swing there? And does anybody know where I can get that pinch bolt. It is the same size and threading of my rag joint pinch bolt.

Thanks guys
You never said what year your car is. Lemme guess: 69?

If so, as stated above, that arm was a safety feature new to 69. Essentially a shift lever lockout. There were a couple of rods with a bellcrank in between connecting the steering column to the trans shift linkage. The intent was that you couldn't operate the shifter unless the ignition key is in the "run" position, which unlocked the whole shebang. You can't remove the key from the lock cylinder unless the shifter is in park.

The "can only start in park" thing is the neutral safety switch, which - if a 69 and an automatic - is located on the shifter in the console. You should also be able to start it in neutral.

Headers usually require this lockout system be removed (or modified). The danger being you lose the safety feature, so if you have little kids who like to play in the car they can now operate the shifter without the key.

There is also a chance one day you'll shut the car off and won't be able to get the key out of the lock because the collar on the column has rotated slightly while driving. The cure the is to rotate the collar by hand and presto the key comes out. People post on this problem here every now and then.

I'll defer the bolt question to someone else.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Funny thing about the key on the column thing...my key is actually on the front dash. I do have a place on the column that was there for a key, but has a plug in it. I think someone may have replaced the steering column. My car is actually a 68. Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 10, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Sounds like it, in which case just ignore the lever.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 10, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Only 69 had the key in the column, 67 and 68 in the dash.
Sounds like someone put a 69 steering column in your car at some point.
You can do what you like with the lever.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Sweet... thanks guys!

Will try to get some pics up of the car soon. Not much to look at yet, just trying to get it back on the road. Will be looking for some big picture ideas on how best to proceed from ground up.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

I left it on when I put everything back together...I will get a new column when I do the major overhaul on the car. Not hurting anything for now.

Jeff

68 Camaro with 383
(not much to look at yet)
But looking for knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode