SSBC Rear Disc Conversion 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 10, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

SSBC Rear Disc Conversion 68 Camaro

I finally got around to tackling the rear disc brake conversion. I have SSBC disc kit upfront and am using the a125-37 kit in the rear.

Here is the low down on this kit:

This kit is designed to be used on staggered/non staggered vehicles so it will work on any of the 1st gen camaros.

The instructions are like many have said... really not the best, luckily the installation part is not that hard. As to the e-brake and so forth I am not that far in the over all project yet.

The instructions refer to bolt sizes in the parts list that are incorrect, so do not freak out if the instructions say 12mm and its a 3/4 bolt.

Anyways the part that everyone with staggered shocks always deal with is caliper location. The instructions did not cover what to do if it was a staggered shock situation, and actually said the kit was for non staggered shocks only.

I contacted the vendor and told them what I thought of their instructions or lack of a qualified tech writer.

The solution for us with staggered shocks is simply staggering the caliper location. Rotate the bracket so the caliper is on the side opposite of that shock mounting location. Think of the disc brake as a clock and if your facing it on the driver/passenger sides for a 68 + (staggered shock car) then you need to have the calipers at 10:00.

If on a 67 camaro then the driver side would be @ 1:00 and the passenger side would be @ 10:00.

As to quality of parts: the parts all look nice andthe calipers are nice looking. I did have an issue with some of the lock nuts provided... I either got a bad batch or their lock nuts are crap cause I had 3 of 8 strip! They say to torque these lil buggers to 40lbs which is alot of such a small bolt. Anyways I had a bunch of metal lock nuts on hand and used them instead of the cheap nylon type lock nuts they provided. Other than those little issues with the nuts there was no issues and it was a saturday project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 68IslTeal; Apr 26th, 10 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode