Rear multi leaf bolts - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
robert

Unhappy Rear multi leaf bolts

I am ready to install my rearend in my 69. I have multi leaf springs and multi leaf mounting brackets on the rear end. my question is, are the factory T bolts strong enough or should I use U bolts. Sorry ,I could not find a straight answer.

1969 X11 Work in Progress
1967 SS Waiting on the '69
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Rear multi leaf bolts

Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and 86 the T bolts in favor of four U-bolts. AutoZone or Advance carries them over by the lug nuts and stuff like that. 7/16 x 3" size.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Use u-bolts. They will hold things together better if something lets loose. I have a set from Rick's that I am not using if interested.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay View Post
I am ready to install my rearend in my 69. I have multi leaf springs and multi leaf mounting brackets on the rear end. my question is, are the factory T bolts strong enough or should I use U bolts. Sorry ,I could not find a straight answer.

Everyone always advises to go from t-bolts to U-bolts (which I just did two weeks ago), its obvious U-bolts are stronger, but I got to thinking, and if the T-bolts have worked for 41 years and haven't let you down yet (assuming your not drag racing it), then maybe.... just maybe... they are OK.

But like I said, I switched mine out too.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 04:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVINNY View Post
Everyone always advises to go from t-bolts to U-bolts (which I just did two weeks ago), its obvious U-bolts are stronger, but I got to thinking, and if the T-bolts have worked for 41 years and haven't let you down yet (assuming your not drag racing it), then maybe.... just maybe... they are OK.

But like I said, I switched mine out too.
I ripped my spring perch of an axle tube, 327, 2bl, pg, and the 1/4 panel
yes I drove the car like a 17/23 year old. And was bought new.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
John

I don't understand why y'all are saying the u-bolts are "obviously" stronger. The T bolts are twice as thick in diameter as the u-bolts. I had my spring perches rewelded and "gusseted". I figured I'd go with both U and T like was stock. Why are the u bolts obviously stronger?

Thanks,
John

69 SS350 Coupe, 4 speed- under construction- "resto-mod"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookobird View Post
I don't understand why y'all are saying the u-bolts are "obviously" stronger. The T bolts are twice as thick in diameter as the u-bolts. I had my spring perches rewelded and "gusseted". I figured I'd go with both U and T like was stock. Why are the u bolts obviously stronger?

Thanks,
John

If you go with all u-bolts, you are connecting the rear to the leafs with four connections. If you use two u bolts and two t bolts, the rear is connected with only two connections.

I don't know if the t bolts are twice the diameter.....the holes in the shock plates would have to be 3/4" for them to fit through. My t bolts were exactly the same size as the u bolts.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dustin

I suppose that (as an engineer) I could technically figure out the difference.

But I'll take the simple approach, if the T-bolts and U-bolts are the same diameter, and the same hardness, then the shear strength of them will both be the same.

It would however, seem that the U-bolts would have an advantage for more tensional strength since the U-bolt would have more contact area across the top of the axle, along with the forces of both ends being pulled from under the perch.
With that being the case, that extra tension could keep the axle from sliding sideways on the shock plates which would then bring the shear strength of either bolt into question.

For the small amount of $$ difference, I went with new U-bolts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 10, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookobird View Post
I don't understand why y'all are saying the u-bolts are "obviously" stronger. The T bolts are twice as thick in diameter as the u-bolts.

Thanks,
John
Huh? Last I checked they were both 7/16-20. (as originally built by GM))

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVINNY View Post
I suppose that (as an engineer) I could technically figure out the difference.

But I'll take the simple approach, if the T-bolts and U-bolts are the same diameter, and the same hardness, then the shear strength of them will both be the same.

It would however, seem that the U-bolts would have an advantage for more tensional strength since the U-bolt would have more contact area across the top of the axle, along with the forces of both ends being pulled from under the perch.
With that being the case, that extra tension could keep the axle from sliding sideways on the shock plates which would then bring the shear strength of either bolt into question.

For the small amount of $$ difference, I went with new U-bolts.
Seems pretty simple to me. The T-bolt itself will likely never fail, but they place all of the stress on the welds that hold the spring perch to the axle tube. The U-bolt seems like it would share that stress with the welds. Since GM decided the "performance" models needed one u-bolt per side, it only seems logical that all four u-bolts would be even stronger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode