Steering box - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Steering box

So, I took the 67 down the road today and for the first time, didn't hear any new noises that made me take it back and work on finding what it was, so, that was great, but , man, is my steering WACKED. It has factory power steering and so far, I haven't touched it, but, I'm not taking this thing far driving like this.

Now,I was thinking about just ordering rebuild kits for my steering box and pump , but, I have read a few posts saying that a 3rd gen box is the way to go. If it is, how much money are we talking about and what all parts are needed to change over?

Just trying to figure which way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: steering box

Quote:
my steering WACKED.
It is very diffult to give advice from that description.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Check this out: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=3rd+gen+box

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 10, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Steps,

The question was about opinions on rebuiding old box compared to swapping to the 3rd gen that alot of people seem to like. Larry got it. Thanks Larry.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 12:51 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Total cost for a rebuilt pump and all the stuff for the third gen swap should be less than $300 even with new hoses. If you've got an old pump, you might need to go ahead and get a rebuilt one as they are set up for the higher pressures the later model boxes require. That $300 is before you get your core charges back for the pump and box so figure maybe around $260 or so total.

I went from a practically new Year One reproduction '69 fast ratio box to a third gen box and am loving it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

I swapped my original PS box for a Lares 972 box. It is an original box with IROC internals and quick ratio, so it was a direct swap. I turned the original box in for core at Advance Auto. I think NPD also sells them, and they are sometimes on EBAY.

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Steering box

My pump is the orginal factory....never had to touch it other than new oil every couple yrs and replace the hoses
Done around 300.000 miles
Have the orginal quick steering box, had to replace a couple seals a couple yrs back
Love the box would never consider changing it.
If its not broke dont fix it.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

mines broke, so, i'm fixin it
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Manual boxes aside, you are starting with the worst of the power boxes with a '67. Any other power box will be an improvement in road feel and ratio.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Ok, I'm just wondering what the differences are between the advance auto cardone gear box part #276550, and the ones that come up as fitting my 67 , which are part numbers 27-6537, and 27-6509. Educate me on this. Also, what power steering pump and pitman arm does everyone recommend ? Need everyones help to figure this out. So far everthing I have replaced on the car was specific to the 67 model, so, using parts for a 3rd gen makes me nervous just because of part fitment. But , since everyone thinks this is the way to go, I'm all for it. Just want to know all parts needed. Thanks alot everyone.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

This has been done over and over and over and has been done for years. It's not exactly a new thing. There's nothing to be nervous about.

The exterior of the third gen box is identical to the first gen box. The only differences are the internals, smaller input shaft which requires a new coupler, and different hose fittings which simply require flare inserts which you simply tap down into the orifices. The old boxes were SAE thread inverted flare whereas the new boxes are metric thread o-ring. However, the threads are close enough that your original stuff will work and it is the flare that seals it, not the threads.

Also if you get a rebuilt pump it will come with a female fitting whereas the hoses for a '67 have female fittings. No problem there as you can either get a hose for a '74 Nova OR get a fitting to convert the pump. I did the fitting. You should be able to reuse your pitman arm unless it is just shot.

For a complete conversion, you only need:
-Cardone 27-6550 box from AutoZone/Advance $140
-Dorman 31011 coupler from RockAuto.com or AutoZone/Advance (cheaper at Rock) $50
-Lee Manufacturing high and low pressure inserts and tool phone 818-768-0371 or 888-698-6679 $20
-Rebuilt pump from AutoZone/Advance $60
-Weatherhead 1563 fitting for pump from NAPA or '74 Nova high pressure hose $10
-New hoses $30

That's it. $300 before you get your core charges back and you just completely redid your steering system pump and all.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Thanks a million Steiner, this is exactly the breakdown I was looking for. Guess it looks like I'll be jumping into this in the next week or so. My pitman arm is shot. Wiggles like crazy in the center link, so, I want to get it changed out too.

I may need to post again when I get started if the flare fitting swap gives me any trouble. Be on standby, and thanks again.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The fittings are nothing. For the one that goes in the pump (if you want to use '67 hoses) you simply screw it in. No sealant needed.

For the Lee inserts, they are just little aluminum fittings that you tap down into the orifice holes in the steering box. They will sell you an install tool that is like a punch with a shoulder on it or you can use a 1/4" bolt with a nut screwed onto it a little ways. You just have to make sure the fittings are lined up good and just tap them in lightly with a hammer until they seat.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Ok, sounds easy enough, I'm getting stuff together now to order. Found the pitman arm at rockauto when i ordered coupler. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get this started next week. Thanks again.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Romeo

ok well here is a question

Do you lose your steering radius with the iroc box or does it stay the same as the stock 67 camaro one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode