Installing Coil Springs - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JC

Installing Coil Springs

Hey guys I just finishing my front end rebuild, I have alot pics documenting installing the front coils, unfortunately I dont know how to post pics, can someone teach me about posting multiple pics...
thanks
JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dee

Re: Installing Coil Springs

I hope someone does. I'd like to see them.

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty7rs View Post
Hey guys I just finishing my front end rebuild, I have alot pics documenting installing the front coils, unfortunately I dont know how to post pics, can someone teach me about posting multiple pics...
thanks
JC
JC,
The first thing you need to do to be able to post those pics.....get a free photo hosting account from www.photobucket.com. You will upload your pics there and you then attach them to your posts here using the

button using either the IMG /IMG code or using the direct link method. Get that photobucket account then practice posting pics in the Test Drive Forum.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 06:33 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

If the pics are on your computer you can attach them by going advanced and useing the paper clip.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JC

ok lets try this'

I picked this tool up from Oriely's part number 67050

you wont need the fork

remove this clip, but not the washers

also your going to have to loosen the pin on the small leg(but not to loose), you'll be removing that leg when your done in order to remove the tool from the spring

insert the tool thur the shock hole, make sure washers are on

small leg goes in the inside(closest to the engine, make sure your spring is properly seated on top, now start compressing this tool is really well made, i didnt use a chain and I didn't feel I needed one. continue to compress your spring until it clears the arms spring pocket

with a jack raise your lower arm, and use a pry bar to push the spring in place, connect your spindle tighten your balljoints and start uncompressing your spring, now remove the tool.that's it your done, i'm doing the drivers side on monday i'll take some pics of removing the tool from the spring....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 08:01 PM
____

Garage

Good job

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JC

thanks Doug and 1969 prostreet, for your info on posting pics.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty7rs View Post
thanks Doug and 1969 prostreet, for your info on posting pics.
You're quite welcome JC!!!! Glad I could help as I'm going to be doing a spring swap and disc brake upgrade on my '69 in a couple of weeks so your pics will be very useful to me....thank you for posting them .

Kind Regards,
David F.
www.firstgens.com

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 11:27 AM
Donnie

Ok, I have a few questions here...

I'm installing new front coil springs and aftermarket, tubular control arms on my '67 Camaro as well.

My questions are...

The stock coil springs that I purchased (eBay) have a "tighter" wrapped coil on one end and a more "loosely" wrapped coil on the other end. Which end goes up into the frame and which end goes into the lower control arm spring pocket? There are absolutely NO markings what so ever on the springs.

Also, I noticed in your photos that you have a red insulator in your lower control arm. Do you have one up in the frame spring pocket as well? Is it absolutely necessary to have these insulators? My tubular control arms didn't come with spring insulators, but the springs are coated with some sort of plastic/rubber coating.

Any information would be greatly appriciated as this is my first suspension rebuild!

Thanks!
Donnie-D
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 02:34 PM
____

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-D View Post
Ok, I have a few questions here...

I'm installing new front coil springs and aftermarket, tubular control arms on my '67 Camaro as well.

My questions are...

The stock coil springs that I purchased (eBay) have a "tighter" wrapped coil on one end and a more "loosely" wrapped coil on the other end. Which end goes up into the frame and which end goes into the lower control arm spring pocket? There are absolutely NO markings what so ever on the springs.

Also, I noticed in your photos that you have a red insulator in your lower control arm. Do you have one up in the frame spring pocket as well? Is it absolutely necessary to have these insulators? My tubular control arms didn't come with spring insulators, but the springs are coated with some sort of plastic/rubber coating.

Any information would be greatly appriciated as this is my first suspension rebuild!

Thanks!
Donnie-D
This thread was a few years old...but

Stand the spring on end....whatever end stands it straightest is the top.

The isolators are not required, but sometimes the steel on steel will create creaks and groans which the isolators help stop. You may be fine for a while (or longer) since they're coated ?
I've only used them on the bottom, when I did.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I don't mean to hijack this thread but since it has to do exactly with the title I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to install springs without a compressor? I took them out using a floor jack under the control arm but I understand that the angle of the control arms might make it too tricky (dangerous?) to put back in the same way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 04:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Are you sure the springs you have are for a Camaro? Tighter wrapped at one end (as in A LOT tighter - like a beehive) then you may be looking at an A-body rear coil spring. The tighter end on an A-body fits the spring perch on the axle.

Got any pix of said springs?

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by trland View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since it has to do exactly with the title I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to install springs without a compressor? I took them out using a floor jack under the control arm but I understand that the angle of the control arms might make it too tricky (dangerous?) to put back in the same way.

I've always had to use a spring compressor. If the springs that came out were very old (like originals) then they were probably pretty compressed and that's why the front end didn't jump when you separated the ball joint.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by trland View Post

You can and we've done it on unmounted bare subframes using a chain and a jack. If this is your first go at this then use a compressor.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 13, 05:19 PM
____

Garage

I've done in half a dozen times and no spring compressor.

Just be sure to safety chain it incase things go wrong.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode