What Springs Fit BMR Tubular Control Arms???? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dee

What Springs Fit BMR Tubular Control Arms????

I purchased a Hotchkis TVS, Competition Engineering Slide-a-link traction bars and bolt-in subframe connectors, and BMR tubular upper and lower arms for my '69. I did not do enough homework to make sure everything would fit. Guess what? It doesn't..

The ubolts for the rear end were too large to fit through the brackets for the Slide-a-links. The subframe connectors would not fit under the floor so they were modified instead of the floor. The Hotchkis coil springs will not fit in the spring pockets on the BMR arms (they are too big around). Seems like nothing wants to work together.

The shop doing this said they have never had so much trouble putting a new suspension on a car. And they have a world of experience with performance suspensions. I should have done more investigation or bought everything from one vendor.

I am disappointed and it's still not done. I now have to find some coils springs to give me the 2" drop the Hotchkis springs would give, fit the spring pockets of the BMR arms, and give the performance of the Hotchkis coils.

Guess I didn't do enough homework. Oh well, no one ever said it would be easy. Any ideas for new coil springs? I need to get them asap to get them in while the shop has the car.

Thanks,

Dee

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dee

Re: What Springs Fit BMR Tubular Control Arms????

Apparently no one has run across this before. I decided to take my own advice and stay with one manufacturer to get me out of this trouble I got myself into. It blew the budget to smitherines but I order upper and lower Hotchkis tubualr arms from Summit today. Second day aired them so the shop will have them Wednesday.

Should have them on by Thursday and my baby should be back out on the street by Friday. I can't wait (now watch me have trouble with the Hotchkis springs not fitting in the Hotchkis arms )!

As soon as I get the BMR arms home to take pics I will list them in the "classifieds". Anyone need some tubular arms for a first gen?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 10, 08:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

could the arms be set up for a coil over application? if they are camaro specific arms, with spring pockets, the coils should fit.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dee

I suppose they could, Joe. I don't know much about coilovers. You can see the arms here.

http://www.lmperformance.com/6597/47.html

Now that I look at their web site closer it looks like they show a coilover mounted in the arm.

The ones I have are black but they are the same as the red ones. Only problem I have with them is that my Hotchkis coils won't fit in them.

I have already ordered the Hotchkis arms so that's the way I am going.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Yep coil over..................stock spring wont fit. could have gone either way: coil over shocks/springs with the BMR lowers, or hotchkiss (stock type) springs/lower arms.

The coil overs have more adjustability. i run the hotchkiss spriings and i like them. their big sway bar is a nice complement to their springs.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode