Brake pedal booster rod & light switch adjustment? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Brake pedal booster rod & light switch adjustment?

I have a power booster\master setup.
Is it normal to have to adjust the clevis that attaches to the brake pedal arm (bottom hole) until it's almost to the end of the booster rod? The switch in front of the pedal is bottomed out as well.... as far forward towards the firewall as it will go to be able to make contact with the brake pedal arm.

I don't have the carpet in yet, and haven't looked at the specs for pedal adjustment yet. They're not going to matter anyway because I have the feeling if I adjust the pedal to factory specs, the brake pedal won't actuate the light switch. It barely does now.
Right now if I push the brake pedal all the way down, it has a hard stop, which to me means that's it's full travel (which is a good thing?). It's not hitting anything and stops well before the floor, or where the carpet would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Brake pedal booster rod & light switch adjustment?

I believe there 2-holes for the rod to go threw and rod needs to be in the upper hole, also if its aftermarket they make an adjustable rod for a longer length. I got mine from Frank

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Actually power brakes use the lower hole on the pedal. Just seems weird I had to adjust the clevis all the way out like that.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Is it a stock booster?

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Check this link out//
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ghlight=clevis

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Everything is.... it's an over-the-counter booster\master setup. The rod doesn't adjust in or out, so I only have the clevis adjustment to work with.
No biggy, unless having the clevis that close to the end of the threaded rod is going to become a weak point and leave me without brakes someday.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Everything is.... it's an over-the-counter boostermaster setup. The rod doesn't adjust in or out, so I only have the clevis adjustment to work with.
No biggy, unless having the clevis that close to the end of the threaded rod is going to become a weak point and leave me without brakes someday.
Ive had the same problem, with a short clevis and added a 1/2 of an old rod into the booster for more length and cup the end for a better contact point on the clevis. Thats what i was told to do until i change my master to match my 8" booster.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech

I had to adjust my clevis all the way out too. I don't know about 69's, but on 67's there is an extender that attaches to the brake pedal to reach the brake light switch.

Dan

67 Convertible
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah, that another thing..... the pedal never returns far enough forward (towards driver) to contact the rubber bumper. It's maybe 1/2-3/4" short. But as long as the booster rod has no pressure on it, which it does not, what's the diff? I could always add something to the front edge of the pedal arm to contact the switch.... that'd give me some more rod to play with I suppose.
Thanks for the idea!

If I could start the car I'd play with it more to see if the brakes function properly. But that's a ways off yet.
I was just curious really.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Joe, Power brakes don't use the rubber stop. And do you have the brake light switch contact bracket installed? The plunger contacts the bracket, not the pedal arm. If I am reading your current set up correctly.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hmmmm.... there is no bracket on the arm. There wasn't one on either arm I have (previous owner had shortened the pedal pad with a hacksaw!!). I would have kept that stuff together. I'll look up a picture of what it's supposed to look like and see if I have it, but for the time being, how does it attach to the pedal arm? Or does it attach somehow to the switch or switch bracket itself?

OK, so it doesn't need to hit the bumper.... makes sense that manual brakes need it because of the arm being pulled forward by the spring.
Thanks Scott.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Joe, Power brakes don't use the rubber stop. And do you have the brake light switch contact bracket installed? The plunger contacts the bracket, not the pedal arm. If I am reading your current set up correctly.
Joe,

Scott is on the right track here and the bracket is available from Ricks as a reproduction. Also, I believe the power brake light switch is different (longer reach) than the manual brake light switch.

I've also seen some cars (one of mine) that has the clevis almost out to the end. I'd say there are still 6 to 8 threads in the clevis and with the stopnut tight it's never been a problem.

Dave Miller

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Cool... thanks Dave.

Different switch.... that would just be my luck. I'll rig something before I spend money on a stinking switch.

And I do not have that bracket either. I don't remember seeing a hole in the pedal arm for attaching it either, but that's nothing a drill can't handle.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

When I converted my manual drum car, it had a return spring on the pedal and the pedal arm contacted the button on the brake light switch which is in a little crimp bracket that lets you slide the switch in and out. Even though it isn't necessary, I reused the return spring and put a little 1/4" tall rubber bumper on up on framework where the arm contacts. It may not be correct, but it functions perfectly.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 4th, 10, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Guess

That's an idea... I can always glue a piece of rubber on the front of the pedal arm where the switch touches it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode