Pan Hard Bar Set up, Should I Remove it? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Pan Hard Bar Set up, Should I Remove it?

Now that the body of my 67 is off to the Blasters, and all the suspension is in a Heap in the corner, It currently has a Pan Hard Bar setup installed on the rear end. It runs from the Axel tube on the rt to the Frame rail on the left then back to the center of the Trunk floor where it bolts through some rather hstrong steel plates.
The Monoleaf springs were replaced for some double leaf springs. (Who knows where those actually came from!)
What is this going to do for the suspension of the old Camaro? I have the front end completely taken apart and the front A frames have lubeable bushings installed. (Again I have no idea where that setup came from!)
When I rebuild the front A Arms I am going to replace that mess with Poly bushings, But I do not know what to do about the rear. My car has the Factory Square Torshion bar on the right side already.
I am open to any thoughts, Ideas, or experiances.
This car had been a European Race car for 20 years, now it is being retired to the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 01:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Re: Pan Hard Bar Set up, Should I Remove it?

show us the hardward and how its interconnected on the rear of the car. id be inclined to keep it if its effective in keeping the everything centered.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Well, I would take some pictures, but it is now all apart and the body is at the soda blasters, so I can not get any pictures. Sorry, but I did not think about it untill the body guy ask me if I was going to keep it or not. I told him that I was, really without thinking. But my thought is that if it helps, why remove it? I do not know if it could possibly hurt anything, so I default to this site for information or experience.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I would be inclined to keep it also. It should not adversely effect the ride of the car just driving down the road. It could only help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Here are some pictures of how it is on the Axle, The car is not back from the media Blaster yet, but I will get pictures of the bottom mounting positions when it is on the rotisserie.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 11:10 PM
David Pozzi

The problem with running a panhard bar with leaf springs is that each will have their own roll center, if the roll center locations don't match, there will be binding in roll which will be felt as extra rear roll stiffness. This panhard bar looks like it is very close to the natural leaf spring roll center height. I wouldn't expect it to cause much trouble, if any. I'd test it when the car is done and see if you can feel it helping or hurting ride or handling. It would be easy to delete it later if it's hurting.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode