JCW 3 leaves - First drive! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 10, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

JCW 3 leaves - First drive!

Back in late December, I started what was going to be a one weekend project and finally hit the road again tonight.

The project of swapping the 10 year old monos for JCW 3 leaves snowballed into learning to weld, replacing a spring reinforcement, rebuilding the 12 bolt, cleaning and painting the underside, and adding a new fuel tank. But in the end it was worth it!

Tonight, I, along with Melrose Jr. in his pajamas took a shake-down cruise around the neighborhood and the car feels great!
We drove on smooth and bumpy suburban streets and the suspension is quieter and stiffer, but no more harsh. I still have the KYB gas-a-just shocks and may swap them out. I still have to fill the gas tank, check the ride height and take some corners to determine how different the handling is. On the weekend I'll take some photos to show the ride height and post before/after in this thread. Stay tuned...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 10, 02:05 AM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: JCW 3 leaves - First drive!

Yeah I also went with the JCW three spring set up and really like it. I am going to replace the air shocks havent decided with what yet though. mark
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 12th, 10, 03:33 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I have the 4 leaf Z-28 replacements....Shocks will make a big difference

to first cruise this year.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

OK, second drive tonight and got to push it a little harder on some corners. HUGE difference over the monos! Much better control. Much less body roll. Photos coming later.

-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Put 50+ miles on the car Saturday before most of Massachusetts woke up. I can say I have not found ANY negatives to running these 3 leaves over the monos. Now some photos....Tires are 235-60/15 all around. 8 inch AZ rallys on back.

First is the car with the old monos and about 2 gallons of gas. This is the highest it ever sat! These monos are only about 10years old.

This is after the JCW rear springs, still very little gas in the tank.

This is with JCW springs, full tank of gas, no spare in the trunk.

I love this new stance!

-
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 16th, 10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Ubolts. I used 7/16" x3"x 7.5". They are much too long and I'll cut them down BUT there are two advantages I found to this lenth and size. First, if you are like me, trying to install a rear alone in a one car garage, the longer bolts make it easier for you. Second, the thread and bolt size is the same as original so you will not have to drill plates/perches and you can reuse the original nuts to double nut the bolts.

You can barely see that I reused the top old rubber spring pad after trimming off the sides with a pair of dikes. If I had left this pad out completely, the plate and perch would be closer together but the car would be that much higher in the rear.

This one is for Skip (Skeeter55). His used westcoast 12bolt cover now lives on my eastcoast car. In my eyes, there's something so much cooler to that than just buying new cover!

Thanks again, Skip!

I've tried to cover it best I can but if anybody has questions, post 'em up.

Oh, one last thing, DO NOT expect these springs to eliminate wheel hop. They don't!

-
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Tom your very welcome.... I'm glad my 12-bolt cover has found a good home and is in use. Any time i can help out a awesome fellow Team Camaro member, just makes me feel that much better....

Also the car looks great Tom and your on the road for the summer.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

I just took my car for its first drive on these springs last night and I was impressed. My rear used to bottom out and it used to creak and squeak. Now all thats gone and the car handles much better. I swapped from my stock multis to these since they were cheap. Im using lakewood bars now but plan to swap to caltracs.

Just to confirm what everyone is already saying, for a stock replacement these spring do work.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgiant View Post
I just took my car for its first drive on these springs last night and I was impressed. My rear used to bottom out and it used to creak and squeak. Now all thats gone and the car handles much better. I swapped from my stock multis to these since they were cheap. Im using lakewood bars now but plan to swap to caltracs.

Just to confirm what everyone is already saying, for a stock replacement these spring do work.
i have this setup and like it, and the springs may not stop wheel hop, but the caltracs do! I'm glad the cruising season is here!

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech

I have to say....I liked the stance better in the before pics. That's one of the reasons I'm hestitant about swaping out my mono-leafs (although I need it) I don't want the raised height in the back end.

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
I have to say....I liked the stance better in the before pics. That's one of the reasons I'm hestitant about swaping out my mono-leafs (although I need it) I don't want the raised height in the back end.
Keep in mind, that before pic was as high as it could possibly be because there was no spare, no gas and no people in it. It didn't usually look that good. I think it will settle some eventually. But if you like a lower stance swap the monos for the Hotchkiss springs. You can't go wrong with the Hotchkiss setup.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode