coil spring position ? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Trev

coil spring position ?

can I rotate my coil springs in place with the frt suspension hanging fully ? I think 1 of my springs is not sitting correct as it sits diff.than the other side and when I had the alignement done the pass side has no shims and driver's is shimmed out to the max;which is the side that I think the coil is not correct ?

69 Resto MOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: coil spring position ?

On the frame in the upper control arm shaft area is a hole, about 3/8" diameter.
You should be able to see the spring end.

If not, stick in the hole a screwdriver, and you might have to use a spring compressor, and rotate the spring to meet the screwdriver. Where the spring hits the lower control arm in the pocket is what it is, it must be showing in the hole.

Or maybe a long pipe wrench on a coil with the suspension at full extension.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 10, 05:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Yes, if you fully drop the front suspension (may need to remove shock) then you can usually grasp the spring and work it around to sit correctly.
It may require the use of a set of vise-grips or other tool to get the right movement leverage depending on how tight your springs set.

btw - it is fairly normal for many 1st gens to sit slightly unlevel - sometimes by as much as 1/2~3/4" if it's really bad ...
You can level the car several differnt ways, depends on you wants and needs.

Try a few 'searches' to see what some have done to correct.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 10, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Trev

Finally got it back together ! While I had to pull it apart and see for myself where the coil should sit I swapt in some CE trick springs and it lowered frt by 2" So did that happen because they are no clocked into position or due to spring being lighter ? I'm ok with the new ride height as it's 24 " from fender lip to floor !Just need a new alignment now !

69 Resto MOD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 10, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Not clocked.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Trev

well 24"may be too low ! I rolled off the hoist and hooked my frt spoiler on the way down in the middle "NOT HAPPY" at least they're cheap !Ground clearance is not very cool either HOW do all you others run so low ? Will I be destroying my headers now ? I'm going for a drive today I hope if it's not raining !
I'm sitting at 11 1/4"from hub to fender lip LOL

69 Resto MOD

Last edited by madcarson; May 27th, 10 at 07:15 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
mark

madcarson Re: coil spring position ?
well 24"may be too low ! I rolled off the hoist and hooked my frt spoiler on the way down in the middle "NOT HAPPY" at least they're cheap !Ground clearance is not very cool either HOW do all you others run so low ? Will I be destroying my headers now ? I'm going for a drive today I hope if it's not raining !
I'm sitting at 11 1/4"from hub to fender lip LOL

Well we drive very slowly and avoid speedbumps at all cost !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 05:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

I'm a whisker over 25 inches. X2 on the speed bumps. My header flange has a few war wounds!

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode