69 Camaro rear c5 brake caliper upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

69 Camaro rear c5 brake caliper upgrade

I did some research on this but Im having trouble finding the answers.

I just purchased the front brakets from Muclerodz to upgrade my brakes to the 13" Corvette c5 calipers. I found a nice deal on ebay for a new complete set of red calipers. I also want to use the corvette c5 rear calipers. What other parts (mounting brackets, etc) do I need and where can I get them?

Thanks in advance.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 10, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 69 Camaro rear c5 brake caliper upgrade

Call Tobin @ www.kore3.com He'll fix you up with the parts. Either with or w/o parking brake. I highly recommend a parking brake for a street car. You have a pretty car, and I hope you understand that the C5 brakes will not work with your rally wheels. Also be aware that you'll "probably" need two LH rear calipers due to your staggered shocks. Talk to Tobin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

I just got off the phone with Tobin and my bill was over 1K !!! I thought this was the budget upgrade lol. (thats for brake lines, mounting pins, rear mounting brackets and the parking brake kit and a few other small items)

The parking brake conversion kit was $600. I can stomach the rest. Is there a cheaper conversion for the parking brake? I thought I read someone say that they were able to hook up the old system to the new calipers but needed a different size cable. A adjustable cable will be a lot cheaper, IF thats true???

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 10, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Yes - there is a much cheaper way, but you have to scrounge up the parts and be willing to fabricate a couple of things.

LS1 Camaro rear brakes (98-02) are essentially the same as C5 with a few differences. The calipers are gravity cast vs pressure cast. The rotors are straight vane vs directional ( same rotor fits both sides, whereas C5 has a R and an L)

C5 rear calipers and abutments will bolt up to the LS1 backing plates, and might require a tweak to the anti-rattle spring.

The parking brake is the same concept. The LS1 brakes are more or less a bolt-on deal.

Here's write-up I did on the swap last summer. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161383

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 10, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

Thanks youve been a lot of help Al. Im going to start gathering those parts.

Last edited by Microgiant; May 25th, 10 at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Yes - there is a much cheaper way, but you have to scrounge up the parts and be willing to fabricate a couple of things.

LS1 Camaro rear brakes (98-02) are essentially the same as C5 with a few differences. The calipers are gravity cast vs pressure cast. The rotors are straight vane vs directional ( same rotor fits both sides, whereas C5 has a R and an L)

C5 rear calipers and abutments will bolt up to the LS1 backing plates, and might require a tweak to the anti-rattle spring.

The parking brake is the same concept. The LS1 brakes are more or less a bolt-on deal.

Here's write-up I did on the swap last summer. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161383
Just to correct myself - I'm not sure the C5 abutments will bolt to the ls1 backing plates. The C5 calipers WILL work on the LS1 abutments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode