Brake vacuum pump. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

Brake vacuum pump.

I'm only getting one to two good brakes then the power assist goes away. I'm assuming I lack vacuum. Last I checked the motor only produce about 13hg. Do you guys run a vac pump and which do you use and where have you mounted it? Thanks D. It's a 383 stroker. non power steering car, front disc, rear drum. Just asking before I spend 300 bucks.

Dan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 SS 383 Stroker , TKO 600, 3:73
1964 vette conv. 327/ 300 freshly ,completely repainted. I mean everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Brake vacuum pump.

If the first two times you brake it works well then your motor pulls enough vacuum.
If a few repeated times pressing the brake pedal means you run out of assist, it seems to me like you need more volume of vacuum.
Try adding a vacuum can, also double check your check valve to make sure your holding vacuum in the booster.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

It does hold vacuum, but I think, and from what I read I might need more. I read a lot of forum entries here and in chevelle, that a canister may or may not work. I have a pretty big cam in the car. That's probably why. A booster pump will work right? I don't mind spending the money if it works all the time. I know it is never more than 13hg at best. All I've read is you need at least 17-18

Dan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

13" is not enough for good quality braking. Cans do nothing, they hold more of nothing. The reason the brakes feel good at first is because at higher speed(foot not into the throttle) your vac is higher than at idle, couple pumps, slowing down and engine vac is non-existent (13") Pumps work great if you don't mind the little noise, much like a elec fuel pump.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech
Al

My vac brakes were fine @ 12" vac. At cruise you'll make a lot more than 13" and the can will store that and give you a couple extra apps at a stoplight. I'd check for leaks.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
My vac brakes were fine @ 12" vac.
Mine too, and they're four wheel discs which supposedly need more than just front discs.

The check valve on my booster was bad right out of the box. Check it out....just pop it out of the booster and see if you can blow through it one way only or both ways. Both ways would mean it's bad.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

I'll check the valve again....... the noise is no worry as the car is loud as it is.

Dan

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 10, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

As above, look for something leaking. Z's pull even less vacuum at idle and the power brakes work fine.

Bad check valve, bad booster, or misadjusted rod-booster setup.

alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode