Wilwood caliper help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Wilwood caliper help

Hi everyone. I went to the car wash and I sprayed the wheels with eagle one wheel/tire cleaner before it went in because there was ALOT of brake dust on the wheels after I bedded them a few days ago. The car wash guy also sprayed something on the wheels also. Ive used this stuff numerous times on my painted wheels with no problems. This is first time Ive sprayed the calipers with it and it looks like this cleaner (or the car wash guys bottle) left a film on the caliper but only on one side.

I tried cleaning it by hand with a whole bunch of stuff (soap, goo gone, brake cleaner) but it wont come off. Any ideas?

I sent these pics to wilwood and Im waiting on their response. Anyone seen anything like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 01:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Wilwood caliper help

That looks to me like acid etching. Maybe the guy had crap acid based wheel cleaner. If those are aluminum calipers which it looks like they are then that is pretty much permanent. I think sometimes you can polish it out of billet but I have no idea about that since it seems like it may be anodized. The Eagle One A2Z is supposed to be acid free but comes with this warning:

WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS.

After marking up my motorcycle rims in much the same fashion, I've used nothing to clean rims other than just soap and water or Turtle Wax Nano wheel cleaner with a wheel brush on a WET wheel....Letting anything dry on them can be an issue.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; May 26th, 10 at 02:12 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

^yes they are aluminum. Black anodized

It wasnt the eagle one cleaner. Ive used it before without problems on the calipers and my painted wheels. It was whatever the car wash guy had. It was a purple liquid and he said "acid" but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until it was too late

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 10, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentz69 View Post
^yes they are aluminum. Black anodized

It wasnt the eagle one cleaner. Ive used it before without problems on the calipers and my painted wheels. It was whatever the car wash guy had. It was a purple liquid and he said "acid" but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until it was too late

Sorry dude. That sucks. Maybe there is some recourse.

I think it can sometimes be polished out of aluminum but I have a feeling that polish might damage the anodizing.

I did find this on an anodized aluminum restoration page:

For heavily oxidized or pitted aluminum, START HERE and use Heavy Duty Cleaning Steps. If the aluminum is just faded, these steps can be skipped. Make sure that the surface is clean before application of the coating.

* Make up a paste (thin) with a "No-scratch" cleanser like BonAmi and water.
* Use an approved scrubber pad. A blue or white ScotchBrite pad works well. Synthetic Steel Wool pads by 3M work great.
* Rinse the aluminum with water. Cleaners should be applied to a wet surface.
* Dip the scrubber into the mixed no scratch cleanser and apply to the window extrusion.
* Scrub gently to remove oxidation, dirt and any mold etc.
* Rinse well, Do not let the cleansers dry on the surface, it will be more difficult to remove.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; May 26th, 10 at 02:40 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 10, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

^Thank you. Ill look into this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode