Brake line removal - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Brake line removal

After all my Master cylinder/ dragging brakes issues were solved, I decided I may as well replace pads/shoes. I discovered one of the wheel cylinders is leaking (I knew I'd find something else I'd be forced to do). I need advice: Is there some trick to breaking loose the brake line fitting from the wheel cylinder? These are the original, never-touched-in-41-years cylinders. Even with a some penetrating rust-buster and a brake line wrench I can't get the fitting to budge and I'm starting to round-off the hex. I thought about just cutting it off and replacing the rear end lines, but no matter how far back I go somewhere along the way I'll still need to cleanly break a fitting loose. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Brake line removal

I've been known to use vise grips on them. Once you do that, you're pretty much going to have to use them the next time also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Al suggested a pair of Vise-grips. But I would install the tubing wrench, then clamp the VG's over the wrench. Now you have an extra lever, as in a 4-way wrench, to loosen. A quick jerk.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 10, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Start at the rear rubber brake hose and replace it all except fittings..if all 41 years old, its time to go! j

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Tried the vise grips on a tubing wrench, still couldn't budge it, it still wanted to round-off. My bro' suggested a 6" mini-pipe wrench. Worked like a charm. Popped right loose. Jay is right though…I ought to replace everything…resisting the urge to obey…everything I do turns into twice as much work. I just wanted to replace shoes, discovered bad wheel cylinder, now maybe brake lines, arrrgh! Now, as long as I have your attention: on the M/C on my 69 there are two valves that look just like bleeders. Is that what those are? How/when do I bleed using those? Thanks, guys. Have a great Holiday. Thanks Vets!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

They are bleeders as well.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

I know how to bleed at the wheels, but when do I use those on the M/C?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

KenFro, replace the rear cylinders and lines and be done with it. If they are giving you that much problem it is time to replace. It will only be a headache the next time you have to do work and everything is rounded off. We've all been there, things just seem to snowball. And ditto thanks to all the Vets out there.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

OK, you've convinced me. How about the M/C bleeders? I am a bit worried about my bench bleeding technique. Can I use those to finish the job if my bench bleed was inadequate?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 06:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

If you screw up one of a lines of fittings you can get short section of brake line with fitting and use a union to put it on that line.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFro View Post
OK, you've convinced me. How about the M/C bleeders? I am a bit worried about my bench bleeding technique. Can I use those to finish the job if my bench bleed was inadequate?
If you are just replacing the rear brake cylinder and the rear brakelines over to the T. I don't think you will have to bench bleed the MC. My MC did not have bleeders on them. But I replaced all the rear lines and bleed as usual. No issues.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

I did replace the M/C first. It was bench bled, emptied, shipped to me, "bench bled" on the car by me, now I am replacing the wheel cylinders. So there's going to be a whole lotta beedin' goin' on. Just want to make sure I don't need to remove the M/C and start over on the bench.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 10, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

You should have bled Master cylinder before putting on car...I never heard of pre-bled master cylinder. ( hope you didn't buy reman unit). I would do rear hose, wheels cylinders, and lines as needed. Those new poly-armour brake lines are the best...Jay

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks Jay. My old M/C wasn't original. I bought an original off a guy on this board who rebuilt it for me. He bench-bled to test it, dumped the reservoirs out and shipped it to me. A guy at the auto parts store where I bought the M/C bleed kit suggested I could bleed it while on the car, which I did. Then I read on here about M/C needing to be bled when level and all the other various tricks and suggestions to bleed M/C and the rest of the system. That's when I started wondering if I'd screwed up. I will if I have to, but I'd rather not pull M/C back off if I can avoid it. Thus my question about how, when and why to use the bleeders that are on the M/C itself. If I have to start over, I'd rather do it now before I finish bleeding the whole system.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 10, 01:05 PM
Jon

I just replaced my mc over the weekend and mine also has bleeders on it. I ordered from year one for my specific year and model, 69 w/o power brakes. I would suggest taking it back off and bench bleeding it again. It is actually a very simple process, takes about 10-15 minutes and you will know for sure that there is no air in the master. As for the bleeders on the actual mc, I don't have an answer for you, I would like to know for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode