Brake Splash Shield - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 10, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Brake Splash Shield

In rebuilding my Front End, I have learned allot about the Factory Modifications to the four piston Disks. Now that it is all apart, I am attempting to piece it all together. The Splash Shields have been modified to the point I had to look real close to see they were not supposed to be the way they were. Is there any advantage to having them cut down? Would it assist in cooling the disk? Should I just replace them and stop thinking about it too much?

As usual I welcome all information I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Peter

Re: Brake Splash Shield

Splash Shields??? I think you are refering to the dust shields that bolt to the spindles. Primary function, to stop brake dust from getting all over place. Minimal, if any brake cooling function.

I just redid my whole suspension, the shields were fine so I reused them, if yours are OK, use them, why pay for something you don't need.

If you ar looking for a brake cooling product, I saw drilled and slotted brake rotors on Ground Ups website for 99 bucks for the pair the other day. www.ss396.com.

Peter

PS: Is there any reason you are using house caulking on your front end?? (see pics) lol just kidding
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I powder coated mine red, along with my caliper brackets. Should have the coil springs done this weekend.

Now that I've had some fun with my powder-coating setup, my wife is afraid she'll open the silverware drawer in the kitchen and everything will be Bright Red

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 10, 09:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I powder coated mine red, along with my caliper brackets. Should have the coil springs done this weekend.

Now that I've had some fun with my powder-coating setup, my wife is afraid she'll open the silverware drawer in the kitchen and everything will be Bright Red
I guess that would be better than opening the oven!

Jeff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 02:16 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post

Lmao, thanks for the idea that's a good one

Rich

67 that is asleep right now but is somehow my dream
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

I'm not worried about cooling, I just wondered why these would be cut down like they are. I have ordered new ones to replace what is left of these. I just wondered if there was any good reason to cut these down like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy4s View Post
In rebuilding my Front End, I have learned allot about the Factory Modifications to the four piston Disks. Now that it is all apart, I am attempting to piece it all together. The Splash Shields have been modified to the point I had to look real close to see they were not supposed to be the way they were. Is there any advantage to having them cut down? Would it assist in cooling the disk? Should I just replace them and stop thinking about it too much?

As usual I welcome all information I can get.
I'm not worried about cooling, I just wondered why these would be cut down like they are. I have ordered new ones to replace what is left of these. I just wondered if there was any good reason to cut these down like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

It almost looks like they're from a different application...no idea why someone would do that, but we see all manner of "owner-engineering" done, some of it's good, some others, not so much

They may have thought they had a real hot set-up that no one else had figured out yet

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode