Suspension removal - subframe off car - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Suspension removal - subframe off car

I am in the midst of doing body work and paint on my 69. I have the subframe, motor and tranny all pulled out as one unit. I think I will go ahead and have the sub and A-arms powder coated. My question is do I remove everything the same way as if the sub was attached to the car? Just put the sub up high on jack stands. I removed and replaced all front suspension parts a couple of yrs ago when it ws all together. Didn't know if I would have to do something different since the sub is now off the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Re: Suspension removal - subframe off car

You don't have any substantial weight to counteract the springs when you take it apart. Use a spring compressor or some other method to keep things from flying around. Any work you did before is wasted on the arms because the bushings will have come out for powder coating. The heat would likely fry the rubber.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 11:50 AM
Nick Andrade

I have some A Arms alreadt powder coated with Energy Suspension to go with it. Let me know.

Nick

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
You don't have any substantial weight to counteract the springs when you take it apart. Use a spring compressor or some other method to keep things from flying around. Any work you did before is wasted on the arms because the bushings will have come out for powder coating. The heat would likely fry the rubber.
I realize that I will need new bushings. If I put the sub on jack stands won't I be able to use a floor jack under the A-arms to pop the ball joints and get the springs out?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

No you will still need to control the compression of the the springs.......Do a search for different ways to do it. You can use a spring compressor which you can get for no or little charge from your local auto parts place. I have used 5/8" all thread some flat washers and some 3/4" nuts. Others have used a chain and a jack.....etc

Good luck

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 10, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

When your ready I would attach the subframe to the body and align it first, then start installing the front suspension. It is much easier to align the subframe bare versus having all the additional weight on it.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 10, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Nick PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode