Alignment woes ? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Trev

Alignment woes ?

I had an alignment done last fall when after a cruise to BC and back the outside edges were worn badly on my new Eagles and once finished there were lots of shims on drivers side(all the way out on bolts) so I thought that was odd so I pulled springs and they were not in correctly so I then installed Moroso trick springs and went for a new adjustment and ends up not quite as bad but still 5 thick shims on drivers side and none on pass. ? Anyone have any ideas or reccomendations as to why it's ending up like this ?
Thanks
TG

69 Resto MOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 09:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Alignment woes ?

I don't care what the shim pack looks like if the numbers are right. Do you have any idea what the camber is set at? I've got 3/8 of an inch of shims in mine and the camber is at zero. In spite of the fact that my car took a hard it on the right side the packs are fairly even.

Jeff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Is one side wearing worse than the other, Trev? Is it driving good otherwise after the second alignment? A good shop that can do these cars should have a list of specs and ask which one you want. Mine did. Also when they adjust for road crown they put a little more positive camber on the left side. Is it worn more than the right?

I can understand how the outside edges would wear with the springs in wrong as these cars already have very little negative camber adjustment (ability to tilt top of wheels inward). However, too much positive toe can also cause outside edge scuffing on the front tires.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Trev

It's close to GW specs as I have their upper control arms:they ask for 6 and 6.5 degs and we could only get 5.1 and 5.3 degs,seems to steer good and did before too only now the ride height is way lower with the Moroso springs !

69 Resto MOD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 10, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

One side stacked up and the other not indicates a lazy wheel Alignment technition.
basically over several yrs of alignments they have been starting on 1 side and just keep adding and have no idea as to what shim size front back changes camber/caster
(See one of my old posts for those specs)

Outside indicates toe in or camber real screwed up...also misalignment between front and back wheels (crabbing) and that can be caused by loading one side excessivly

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Put it on one of the newer machines that can check front to rear tire alignment to ensure all is square.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 10, 06:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve A.

Send a message via AIM to flat350

I do my 68 at home with a Fastrax gauge and I can start on the right side or the left side,I always end up with more shims on the left side.Right now with the Guldstrand mod done and stock A arms I have it at 1/16 toe in,camber at 1/2 deg. neg. and caster at 5 1/2 right/5 left,it drives nice with no excessive tire wear.Had it checked at a shop after the first time I used the gauge and it was right on,the gauge matching the machine so I trust it now.I rough set camber,set caster,recheck camber(adjust if nec.),recheck caster(adjust if nec.),set toe and it doesn't take me hours to do it.

Steve

68 work in progress , but I can drive it now - O5D build - 712 trim - 02 color
Think it was a 396 , 4 spd. - now in primer , 350 , 4 spd. , lots of new body and mech. parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode