69 Brake Pedal Spring help help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

69 Brake Pedal Spring help help

Can anyone show me a pic as to where the brake pedal spring goes???.. and are they available from the repop parts places,, or can I get one from autozone??.. Mine is gone and I have no clue as to where it goes..or if there is a special bracket needed,, please help.. Thanks,,

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

Re: 69 Brake Pedal Spring help help

`

When You Turn Your Car On,, Does It Return The Favor,??.. NO!.. Butt,, I hope to Change That Soon..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gonewacky; Jun 13th, 10 at 12:57 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

`

Last edited by gonewacky; Jun 13th, 10 at 12:56 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech

Three in 45 minutes, it takes time to get responses...
I think the spring is only available from repro houses.
That said, if you find a pic you might be able to make a universal one work.

The brake pedal returns spring in only used on manual brake cars, not needed or used on power brake cars.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

Thanks,, I'm just not sure where and to what the spring attaches too.. there is holes in the pedal do they go there? {I presume} and which hole in the housing??..there are two holes......

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech

Search this site, you should find a pic.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech

Will try to find you a pic, but will also try to describe.

There is a small dia hole in the top of the bracket the pedals mount to, and the spring end anchors there. Then there is a thin, teardrop shaped metal piece (like an oblong washer with two holes, one hole the size of the clevis pin and one small hole for the other end of the spring) that fits under the clevis end of the M/C rod, and the pin that attaches the clevis to the pedal arm also goes through this special "washer".

As noted, only used on manual brake cars.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Here's the clip. As far as I know unavailable aftermarket. It's convex and spring steel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

So why is it not used on a power brake car. I changed my car from manual to power brake and reused the spring.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Because a power brake system itself returns the pedal and maintains the pedal's position. A manual pedal would just flop in the wind without the return spring keeping it against the rubber stop. Power brake cars do no use the stop either.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech

Glad Scott had the pic of the clip.

On my 69, the anchor end of the spring was in the hole to the right in this pic, the one that has the stamped "nipple" around it.

And you can see the original stop/bumper bracket was broken off this unit and replaced with some rigged setup.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Because a power brake system itself returns the pedal and maintains the pedal's position. A manual pedal would just flop in the wind without the return spring keeping it against the rubber stop. Power brake cars do no use the stop either.

I have been using mine for the last 15 years with no issues. Spring and rubber bumper for the brake pedal still installed.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

You would not have an issue, it's just not required.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

Could i just hook the spring into the hole in the pedal,, or will it hit the brake light switch, I'll have to look to see if this will work or not.. does the clip, {Bolt} into the hole in the pedal,, I'm still not sure exactly where this clip goes and how it's fastened.. sorry,, I can be a bit dense sometimes..

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
I think the spring is only available from repro houses.
That said, if you find a pic you might be able to make a universal one work.
The brake pedal returns spring in only used on manual brake cars, not needed or used on power brake cars.
Could i just hook the spring into the hole in the pedal,, or will it hit the brake light switch, I'll have to look to see if this will work or not.. does the clip, {Bolt} into the hole in the pedal,, I'm still not sure exactly where this clip goes and how it's fastened.. sorry,, I can be a bit dense sometimes.. ... Oh.. SHi-tttt guys,, I'm sooo sorry,, I just reread this thread, Mine is going to BE a "Power Disc Brake" setup.. I was thinking automatic tranny power brake did'nt need the spring and both manual or power brake for a 4 speed standard car needed the spring,, so sorry for the mix up.. Like I said,, I AM Pretty DENSE Sometimes... ... you guys are such a great help.. thanks so much.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......... {{{Quote}}}The brake pedal return spring is {ONLY} used on {MANUAL} brake cars, not needed or used on power brake cars.[quote]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode