JL8 caliper adapter fittings leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

JL8 caliper adapter fittings leaking

What do you do to get the JL8 caliper adapter fittings from leaking? They fit into the caliper; I have the crush washer on and can't tighten them anymore. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rsb0719; Jun 19th, 14 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: JL8 caliper adapter fittings leaking

I don't know anything about JL8 brakes, but that looks like the male thread is pipe thread, and the female (can't see, but guessing) looks like it might be inverted flare. If I'm correct, use teflon thread sealing paste on the male threads of that fitting you show, and nothing on the flare fitting side of things. Just from the looks of the picture you posted, that doesn't look like it was intended to be used with a copper washer. And I could be totally wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I don't know anything about JL8 brakes, but that looks like the male thread is pipe thread, and the female (can't see, but guessing) looks like it might be inverted flare. If I'm correct, use teflon thread sealing paste on the male threads of that fitting you show, and nothing on the flare fitting side of things. Just from the looks of the picture you posted, that doesn't look like it was intended to be used with a copper washer. And I could be totally wrong.
Thanks for your reply, and you are correct the male is a pipe thread which is where I am having the problem the other end is inverted flare and is fine, it doesn't leak. It only leaks on the male side. I will try the teflon sealing paste and not use the copper washer to see what happens. Thanks again.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:03 PM
David Pozzi

A copper washer would not be used on a pipe thread fitting. It would be used on a banjo bolt adapter and that is what yours looks like. Pipe threads are tapered, a Banjo bolt is not, banjo bolts use fine thread bolt threads.
Make sure your adapter is not bottoming out, and that the copper washer has a flat clean machined surface to seal on.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
A copper washer would not be used on a pipe thread fitting. It would be used on a banjo bolt adapter and that is what yours looks like. Pipe threads are tapered, a Banjo bolt is not, banjo bolts use fine thread bolt threads.
Make sure your adapter is not bottoming out, and that the copper washer has a flat clean machined surface to seal on.
David
No it isn't a banjo bolt adapter; they are not use on the JL8 setup. These brake lines fit into the adapter; the green and red side attach to the adapter on one side which is fine and don't leak. The other end of the line attaches to the rubber brake hose. The brass adapter goes directly into the brake caliper which it the part that leaks.

David, I read through your website; it a great site; learn alot from there.

Last edited by rsb0719; Jun 19th, 14 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It it's pipe thread the teflon paste (pipe dope) should seal it fine, UNLESS the female threads were tapped too deep. Pipe threads are a tapered thread, and if the the tap is run in too deep you lose the taper on the female side and lose the interference fit. I hope that's not the case with yours.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
It it's pipe thread the teflon paste (pipe dope) should seal it fine, UNLESS the female threads were tapped too deep. Pipe threads are a tapered thread, and if the the tap is run in too deep you lose the taper on the female side and lose the interference fit. I hope that's not the case with yours.
I going to try your suggestion this weekend if I can find the teflon paste; I understand that T+2 Rectorseal is real good for this purpose. If that does not work, since JL8 calipers are no more than corvette type calipers, maybe I can get the front corvette brake hose that screws directly into the caliper. Thanks again to the team members with their help.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Unhappy Re: JL8 caliper adapter fittings leaking

Quote:
It's been awhile, but the problem is exactly what BPOS said the female threads were tapped too deep and the taper on the female side is loss. Now I wonder how it can be fixed or can it be fixed at all. These calipers were very expensive so I hate to have to buy more. It has been suggested to use red loctite, I guess that is the next step. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks to everyone.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Bummer....

a couple thoughts:

1. Send it back for a refund!!

2. Drill and tap it to the next NPT size, but that might be too big.

3. Have a machinist drill, tap and spot face it for a banjo type/crush washer fitting.

4. Weld it up and redrill & retap with correct NPT thread. Assuming it's cast iron, make sure your welder guy knows what he's doing.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 12:59 AM
David Pozzi

Did you have someone look at it?
If not, take all your fittings and calipers to a good hydraulics store and perhaps they can come up with something. The fitting in the photo has straight threads, if it were pipe it would have tapered threads.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

He's got a true Corvette caliper with straight threads intended for a banjo fitting and NOT a JL8 caliper with the pipe thread fitting.

He needs to get a correct JL8 caliper. Return the caliper for the right one.

Or, as he suggested, just use a Corvette banjo flex hose and call it even.

Also, I was under the assumption that you NEVER use teflon tape to seal ANY brake fitting.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post

Also, I was under the assumption that you NEVER use teflon tape to seal ANY brake fitting.
I wouldn't use teflon tape either, but some brake fittings are pipe thread, and they need a sealant - I use teflon pipe dope. I believe (though I don't own them) that some Wilwood calipers use pipe fittings at the caliper. My SSBC proportioning valve uses pipe thread fittings.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Did you have someone look at it?
If not, take all your fittings and calipers to a good hydraulics store and perhaps they can come up with something. The fitting in the photo has straight threads, if it were pipe it would have tapered threads.
David
Quote:
He's got a true Corvette caliper with straight threads intended for a banjo fitting and NOT a JL8 caliper with the pipe thread fitting.

He needs to get a correct JL8 caliper. Return the caliper for the right one.

Or, as he suggested, just use a Corvette banjo flex hose and call it even.

Thanks for all your replies; first I will take them as David suggest to a hydraulic store and see what they suggest. If they have no suggestions than I will try the Corvette banjo flex hose.

mahunt said I may have true Corvette calipers; here are the numbers on the calipers, 5469588, the other has 5469589. Both have 5465952 on the other side the calipers. My understanding from the books I read these are JL8 calipers. I could be wrong. My 12 bolt rearend has a QX code, probably and over the counter item.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

The casting may be correct for JL8, but is sure sounds like one was drilled for straight threads and not pipe.

Or maybe it's just stripped.

Look at the threads and make your determination (straight, pipe or stripped) or run a regular banjo bolt into the hole and see what's up (does it wiggle three threads in or is it going in like a regular straight bolt).
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 10, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
The casting may be correct for JL8, but is sure sounds like one was drilled for straight threads and not pipe.

Or maybe it's just stripped.

Look at the threads and make your determination (straight, pipe or stripped) or run a regular banjo bolt into the hole and see what's up (does it wiggle three threads in or is it going in like a regular straight bolt).
It appears to be straight, the threads are not stripped. I will have to go pick up a banjo bolt to see what it does. I tried a 68-82 Corvette brake hose and it leaks too (not the banjo type but the straight type), besides metal stem is too long hits the stablizer bar. I going to take the caliper with me to an auto parts store to check out the banjo type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode