Questions about Right Stuff brake kits... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Questions about Right Stuff brake kits...

Is it normal to have to get longer brake hoses for the front brakes? The hoses in the kit are not long enough when you position the calipers with the bleeder screws on the top. ( I did get some longer ones but won't know if they are long enough until tomorrow)

I got new dust shields for the rear brakes. Where do they go? I have put mine together like this. At the flange I first put on the 4 hole spacer piece, then the thick caliper bracket , then the dust shield. Is this correct?

The outer brake pads on the rear touch the rotor when the caliper is bolted up. The instructions say to remove shims if this is the case. I did not install any shims so I have none to remove!

Also. (only on one side )the mounting bolts for the calipers don't go all the way though the caliper to the outside before they tightened up.

I'm hung up on this install until I can get some answers.

I bought this kit from Matt's last July. I just now got some lift time to do the job.

This is a staggered rear shock install.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Re: Questions about Right Stuff brake kits...

Dave,

Are you talking Front or Rear or both? Which problems for which end? I have installed their front kit from Matts and I found that the braided lines are longer than the stock replacement lines. Also on the front the caliper mounting bolts are 2 different sizes, (the short one is the front and the longer one is the rear).

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

If you are having any problems with the Right Stuff kit give them a call. I found they are great to work with.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Tony ,

The hoses are too short on the front. My car came with factory disc brakes. I'm just replacing all the pieces with new. The car has the original grooved rotors on it.

The dust shields are on the rear. And the shim problems is with the rear, as well as the caliper mounting bolts.

I will try to find Right Stuff's phone number and call them in the morning.

Dave

1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 02:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Is this on your 1969?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Dave,

I have the same rear as you with the Matt's rear kit. The brackets had to come from CPP since they had some that were machined to clear the big Ford bearing houses. You will probably have to do the same if Matt was not aware that you had a Moser when you ordered. The caliper bracket goes on the inside of the axle bearing flange, not the outside. Then your little spacer goes on the outside (it takes the place of the old drum brake backing plate). Your dust shield should probably go on after the spacer.

If you have the big Ford bearings with bolt in axles on your Moser you may need to do the same thing as I did.

I don't know if the brackets are the same thickness or not, but I had to machine about 1/8" off them to get the calipers out enough to clear the rotor. Also the spacer had to be machined out a little over 1/4" to clear the axle bearing. I had to grind on the rotors a little as well to clear a lip on the axle, and I had to drill out the lug holes in the rotors since I have 1/2" studs. I also had to "make" my own caliper bolts since I couldn't find long enough T-bolts. I just ground one side off some hex shoulder bolts so they'd clear the bearing housing.

Here is an old thread where I did it. It may help you if your setup is like mine. You posted in it last year and will probably remember it. At least the pictures may show the assembly.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=163043

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Dave..E-mail w/photos sent.

" Some like it Hot, I like it Red "... Sammy Hagar
'69 Coupe...Red of course!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 02:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

This is the contact info for RIGHT STUFF. They changed the logo, hope they didn't change the owners.

Roger

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/rightst...1/Default.aspx

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Here's an update. I called Right Stuff in Ohio this morning. It seems that back in July of last year when I bought my kits from Matt's they sent me front calipers for a Chevelle. That's why the brake hoses are too short. I was able to modify some longer hoses today, so that problem is solved. We don't know what the hard lines for the diff are suppose to fit. They are for a car that is much wider than a Camaro. I was able to resolve that issue by making my own from straight stock that I bought at NAPA,

I received no front hard lines that will work. They are close but turn the wrong direction at the porportioning valve. The right front line is also at least 10 inches too long. Another issue to resolve tomorrow.

I would like to finish this project tomorrow. I wonder what other issues will pop up. This project certainly isn't Plug n' Play like I have read in the reviews.

Dave

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If they did you like they did me, they sent you drum brake rear hardlines that would plumb directly to the drums. You order a four wheel disc kit and hard lines, you kinda expect to get disc hard lines. I just rebent the ends up in the air and used them anyway. My fronts and front to rear were correct. I did the stainless flex hoses. I also paid for assembled fronts and they sent me unassembled ones. I made them eat a big shipping charge to send them back and send the right ones instead of taking a refund. Should have taken the refund anyway since they assembled them backwards so I had to take them apart to switch the steering arms anyway. Their tech support is good but to me the best tech support is the kind you never have to call.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Another update to the saga: Today we got the front lines modified to work. we were not able to get the e-brake to work, We did bleed the system. I have good front brakes but no rear brakes even though the system bleed just fine.
I just got off the phone with Matt's. They say that I need different rear caliper brackets from CCP because I have a Moser 12 bolt rear end assy. They are trying to locate some for me. We are now at a stand still until further notice.

Day number 4 starts tomorrow,

Dave

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Update # 4 After 4 days still no brakes!. Today we got the e-brake adjusted and rebleed the system. We have bench bleed the master cylinder and turned the right rear caliper up as per instructions to get all the air out. The e-brakes work, the front brakes work but the rear brakes keep bleeding down after getting a good pedal. We have now used 4 pints of fluid.

We need ideas. help!

Dave

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I used a hand vacuum pump and did them by myself. You just have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode