Correct me if I'm wrong.... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to Kevin58145
Correct me if I'm wrong....

Okay here we go I've been reading the forums here for awhile on the LS1 brake conversion and I think I have all the info, I just want someone else to check over it,

I bought the brackets for the LS1 calipers and all the hardware, I still need to buy calipers, pads, rotors, booster, M/C, and prop valve

I'm running the LS1 up front and drums on a 9in in the back.

So what prop valve would I need?

I have a 1969 that has a 454 going in it so I understand that I could use:

9in Brake booster from a 1965 chevelle that will clear the valve cover, and bolts on right?

1.125 M/C from a 1969 corvette

rotors, pads and calipers and caliper brackets from a 2002 camaro

has anyone done this with luck?

thank you and i look forward to the reply's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong....

I would use an adjustable prop valve, so you can get it right, not sure that any off the self would be right, but not sure.

Don't forget the residual pressure valve for the drums.

A single diaphragm booster will not give much assist.
I would recommend a dual, I have one on my 67 with Baer (basically ls1) discs on all 4 corners, its great.
Try hotrodsusa.com for the booster, others have too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 10, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

i dont know if this is the best setup but has worked great for me and i searched this topic alot when i did mine. stock 69 booster from my work napa. 1" bore gm m/c not sure specific year or car but can find out. i used the blue wilwood residual valve for the rear drums and the adjustable wilwood prop valve for the front. everything else came from a donor 99 ss the drum spindles will have to be milled down to accept the lsi rotor longer studs and the right hoses i got mine steel braided for like 50 bucks on here somewhere but i dont remember the company.. i love this setup all in all i had like 200 invested bc of some great deals. im gettin close to doing the rears here soon

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
T

My math says you'd be better off using the 1" bore master cylinder rather than the 1.125" bore job. A '69 vette "manual disc brake" master cylinder should be 1" bore and bolt up to the "early style" booster that has the "long" pushrod. If you end up with a "late style" booster that needs the short pushrod, then I think the 76-78 vette manual master cylinder would work there (?) -- not 100% sure on that though (it's been a while since I went parts hunting for master cyls...)

I'll also agree with 400bird and would recommend a dual-diaphragm booster if you can -- better power assist and I think (?) should still fit with a big block.

I'm also a fan of adjustable prop valves since they'll let you dial the F/R bias in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have used the 1" and 1 1/4" bores with factory discs /rear drums.
1 was the orgianl MC the other a Aussie HQ GM holden...which bolts staight up...identical except for the body casting shape and lid.
The diffrence is negiatble...the bigger bore doesnt move as far and the 1" gives one a little bit more sensitivity.
If I had a choice side by side...flip a coin...or look at the price tag.
Be careful to measure the depth into the MC... MC come with different depths which require diff length actuating shafts

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to Kevin58145

thanks for the replies I work for napa too, so was hoping to buy as much as possible there are there and cars that came stock with a dual booster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode