12" x 1" front rotors? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jamie

12" x 1" front rotors?

I've been looking online for the past week trying to find a kit or information on piecing something together for a 12" front disc setup where the rotor is at least 1" thick and the track width is that of, or near, the stock drum width. And I've basically hit the wall. Oh, and cross drilled/slotted as well.

See, here's my problem, I love the 16x8 TTD wheels I'm running and I'd like to keep them. 17's are nice, but it's just not what I'm going for on my car. I do plan on thrashing the car as hard as I can once I go through the suspension and I don't want my day ended by brakes that can't handle track use.

I'm currently running a MP brakes 11" disc cross drilled/slotted rotors kit that uses the big single piston caliper and stock disc brake track width. While the brakes are great, the extra 3/4" of track width pushes the TTD wheels out too far.

I know Wilwood has the 12.19" kit, but the rotors are only 0.81" thick. I haven't found any info on the same kit with 12.19" x 1" rotors. I looked on Wilwood's site and I didn't see any 12.19" x 1" rotors that were cross drilled/slotted.

Does any one out there have any information or help they can provide?

If 13's fit I'd be good to go, but I think the chances of a 13" kit fitting inside the TTD wheels isn't likely, at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 01:50 PM
David Pozzi

Re: 12" x 1" front rotors?

I'd look at Wilwood 12.19" X 1 1/4" racing rotors and hats for a 3rd gen Corvette, they make stuff for that application. Then relocate your single piston bracket out radially to fit the new rotor, use a GM truck or big car single piston caliper, or aftermarket aluminum version.

The JL8 option uses a Corvette rotor on a drum hub, the OD is 11 3/4" but the hub section is around 3/8" thick. You could probably shave a little off the outboard face to help your backspace issue, but I think you want to keep 1/4". The Corvette fronts must be used, rears are 1/8" different backspace (deeper).
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
T

Re: 12" x 1" front rotors?

You MAY be able to run "LS1" F-body brakes up front in a 16" wheel. These are ~12" diameter with dual-piston calipers. You'll need brackets and you'll need to turn down some drum hubs a little to fit inside the rotors. There are a few vendors that make "kits" to do this. BUT -- I was going this route with my 16x8 VWW V48's until I figured out they wouldn't fit....

You could also look into the 12" Wilwood setups -- I'd drop a line to Frank at Prodigy Customs (no affiliation to me, but he's pretty active on the forums)
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176336

Or Scarebird has (had?) a bolt-on kit that used vette 11.75x1.25 rotors along with Astro van calipers.
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=568842
http://www.scarebird.com/

I'm still running "stock" type disks with wilwood calipers, so I can't comment on quality on any of these kits...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode