Bad Brake Booster? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bad Brake Booster?

Installed a disc brake conversion kit from Inline Tube about a year ago. Everything went well, however the brakes didn't work as well as I expected. I new I had a low vacuum issue so I just dealt with it until recently. I only had 5" of vacuum going to the brake booster so I decided to get a vacuum pump. I installed it and hooked everything up and no difference. The pump automaticly shuts itself off at 20 inch of vac. When I put my finger over the hose going to the brake booster it works properly. When I hook it up to the booster it runs constantly. Is it safe to say I have a bad brake booster. Has anyone else worked with Inline tube, just wondering if they will swapp it out for a new one. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Bad Brake Booster?

My check valve was bad right out of the box. Pull it out of the booster and see if yours is the same. If you can blow through it in either direction then it's bad. You should only be able to blow through the side that plugs into the booster. If that's it, new ones are only a few bucks and they have them on the Help! aisle of most stores.

You can easily check the booster itself with a hand vacuum pump. Just get some tubing so you can connect the pump to the check valve (whether it's bad or not). Pump it until the gauge on the hand pump reaches 15-20" or so and leave it. It should hold for several hours if the booster and check valve grommet are good.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, pulled the check valve out. When I blow through the check valve (hose end) very little air can gets through, I can hear a slight hiss. When I blow through the booster side i can hear and feel the check valve open up. It is taking quit a bit of pressure to blow though from the booster side to open the check valve. Is it possible that the valve is hanging closed a bit?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You shouldn't be able to blow through the hose side at all. You should be able to blow freely through the booster side.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys. I will pick up a new check valve tomorrow and see if it helps. I will post the results.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Those hand vacuum pumps are cheap and come in really handy for bleeding brakes and checking vacuum accessories. Might as well grab one and a box of various vacuum t's so you can check out the booster while you're at it.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, bought a new check valve. I blew through it to compare it to the original and it does work better. I put it on, hooked up my hoses and theres no difference. The vacuum pump still runs constantly, so I must have a leak in the booster, I guess. Anyone else have any suggestions before I replace the booster. I did not check the booster with a hand pump because I figured if the pump is supposed to shut off and it's not than the booster is not holding vacuum. I can't find my receipt from Inline Tube so I guess I'm SOL. Any suggestions on where I should pick up a new one.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Before you condemn the booster, hook up the hand vacuum to the booster, through the new check valve and all, just as if installed aith manifold vacuum going to it.

As Steiner suggests, the assembly should hold vacuum for most of the day.
If it leaks down, check the pedal rod is not holding the atmosphere valve open as in applying the brakes, should be a little slack between the pedal and booster, maybe a 1/16-1/8 inch. Might have to hook up a return spring on the pedal to keep it from 'riding' the booster.

I think you also need a vacuum reservior and the pump connected to the tank outlet to booster as I read the pump is connected to the manifold and cannot achieve a better vacuum - carb has holes - see them - open throttle plates. The manifold hose should be connected to the tank via check valve so under decel, vacuum from the engine is greater and helps 'supply' the tank with vacuum pressure by opening the check valve. At other times, idling, accelerating, the vacuum pump supplies the vacuum.

Vacuum boosters generally need a minimum of 13 inches of vacuum to function correctly.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 08:52 PM
Senior Tech

You said the pump turns off when you seal the tube, right?
Then the booster is bad.

Wait, you have the pump hooked up straight to the booster and nothing else right? There is no connection to the engine?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Correct. The pump is not hooked up to anything else. I can put my finger over the hose and the pump turns off. Hook it up and it runs constantly.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Bad brake booster.......

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you hook up the pump only to the brake booster, does the pump shut off?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The brake booster is the only thing hooked up to the pump. It never stops running while it is connected to the booster. I can pull the hose off of the booster put my finger over the end of the hose and the pump shuts off in a matter of seconds. As long as the pump is hooked up to the booster it never shuts off.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Okay, pull off the pedal linkage and retest.
Does the pump shutoff?

'
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

What pump and how long have you let it run? I'm tellin' ya....a hand vacuum will tell you right away if it's the booster or check valve grommet seal. Did you find anything with the brake pedal like Everett suggested? Those were some good ideas.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode