what is this weird noise - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 10, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
shane

what is this weird noise

best way that i can describe it is like a door hinge that groans.it is very faint and the gf cant even hear it but i definatly can. the noise comes from the rear of the car somewhere possibly the diff ,axles or bearings..i really cant pinpoint it. i have only noticed the noise in the last few drives at very slow speeds in the driveway but i will take it out again this weekend to see if i can be a bit more . i could be imagining it but i think it is possibly more pronounced when i turn or the ground is a bit undulating.

rear diff is a 10 bolt 8.5 with 373 gears and a detroit tru trac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 10, 03:36 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: what is this weird noise

Groans ?
I'd go with the suspension moving (old and worn rubber bushings ?)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 10, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
shane

possibly Doug but spring bushings front and rear are new as well as the spring pads. this sounds more like a constant groan that is in uniscen with the car moving. its a long drawn out groan . i have had the suspension back together for a few months with no problem until just recently so it doesnt seem like its caused by the new bushs i did.

i might be way off track and i dont even know what a snubber bushing is but i have heard somewhere that this can make a groan. do you know much about it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 10, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

When I first bought my 68 it had a similar groan from the rear end. It was more pronounced when I made sharp low speed turns to the right. Turned out to be a bad carrier bearing in the rear end housing. Fixed that and in addition the previous owner (or his mechanic) had failed to add the proper posi additive to the gear lube. Luckily the carrier, ring, and pinion were not damaged in any way. I had the gear oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs to see what's it's condition was.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 10, 12:58 PM
David Pozzi

If it's a wheel bearing, it will usually get louder when there is more load on that side. In a safe place, go 30mph or faster and swerve the car left and right and listen for it to get worse on one side. A carrier bearing will not change when the car is swerved, but both will sound higher pitched as you speed up.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 10, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Just got thru that with a MiniCooper. Turned out the rear stabilzer bushings were dry. Lubed em, groan went away. Might be shock bushings as well. If it is suspension, they can be a real booger to track down.

alan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 10, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Sounds like a bearing..jack each wheel off the ground and spin the wheel...listen for a slight rumble.
The interal diff bearings you may not be able to pick up .....put the rear secure on axle stands, put in gear, usually you will then hear it...a mechanics stethoscope will pick it up.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode