Wilwood Brake Disaster - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Wilwood Brake Disaster

Here is my situation. I've done all the work on my 67 camaro myself. When it came time to install 4 wheel disc brakes I thought considering it is a safety issue, I better leave it up to a professional. I have a friend that has a body shop next to a speed shop. They seem like good guys and I let them install wilwood dynalites on my camaro. Now I went over the installation instructions myself and I know that some of the bolts require red loctite.

Well, it has been a year since this shop installed the brake system. Last saturday there was a slow down on the freeway and I hit the brakes, I heard a bang and then the pedal went to the floor and I heard a lot of clanging and felt a lot of vibrations. I was still able to slow down enough not to hit the car in front of me. It could have easily been a disaster. It was right at an interchange and I had no where to pull over, so limped slowly until I had enough room to pull over. I thought I blew a tire or had some other severe mechanical breakdown. I decided to limp home since I was almost home and I live right off the freeway.

I made it home okay and this morning I discovered the problem. The shop clearly did not use red loctite on the left rear brake brackets and the caliper broke off and caused a lot of damage. It looks like one of the bolts got loose and bent the second one, and the third one just sheared off. The inside of my wheel is scratched up and the polished caliper is gouged up as well. It also hit my shock and gouged it as well. Now I feel since this shop failed to use the red loctite as required, they are fully responsible and I am just blessed I didn't kill somebody. I took pictures and I am going to call the owner tomorrow and hopefully he will be a man of integrity and stand behind his work. The problem is that I gave the shop cash for their labor and I don't have any paperwork, but I have plenty of witnesses that they did the brakes.

I sure hope this turns out ok, I would hate to turn this shop to the BAR. My downfall is that I am too trusting of people when the world is evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 02:54 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: Wilwood Brake Disaster

IMHO, there are going to say they used loctite and it was faulty parts, etc. I hope I am wrong. It seems to me today they dishonesty is running rampant, and is slowly becoming a norm and we as a society are just accepting it. I am glad you did not wreck your car, that would have sucked. And glad noone was hurt. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Most shops have a 60 to 90 day guarantee on labor. You mentioned a year. A lot can happen in a year. I know we don't drive them much but I really think you should probably go back to Wilwood. They might not honor it after a year as well. A least you didn't wreck and hopefully it is repairable. Good luck. I have had a couple of years on a front disc upgrade and I will definitely do some torquing of bolts just to make sure.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

the fact that they didn't use the correct parts trumps the fact that it's been a year. if they had used the right parts, your complaint would be against Wilwood, imo. how many miles have you put on your car since the swap? they should count their blessings that it wasn't a bad wreck with injuries.

|
|
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Initially when I saw that one of the bolts were sheared off, I thought Wilwood was at fault. But then when I saw no residue of Loctite, it became clear that the bolts became loose and came off. Here is a quote from the instructions: "Apply red Loctite® 271 to the mounting bolt threads (5), torque to 30 ftlb."

Now my understanding of red Loctite is that once it dries, it becomes permanent. Wilwood requires it on critical bolts for a reason. Now I don't know if they failed to use it on the other wheels as well. I'm going to call the guy in a few hours and I will post his response.

Last edited by Sactown 67 RS/SS 396; Jun 28th, 10 at 08:49 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Oh yeah, I've probably driven close to 1,000 miles since the brake job.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Very sad. I installed my Wilwood discs just over 10 years ago. Used red LocTite and stainless safety wire on everything. Everytime I pull a wheel I check the bolts and as expected they haven't moved.

Before going to the BAR or to a lawyer talk to the owner of the shop. Bring the pics, bolts, and instructions. Don't threaten to take action, simply ask him to make it right. If he refuses than let him know you have no other recourse than to take action.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

I don't plan on threatening him. I am going to give him the opportunity to make it right. If he refuses, then I'll have to go the BAR.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 09:27 AM
Tech Team
Chet

Don't think you are going to come out top on this one. You can't prove they didn't use Loc-tite, it has 1000 miles on it since work was done, it's been over a year, you have no reciept or paperwork, and you paid cash.

If you were on the other side, what would you think if a person came to you with this story? I hope it works out well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

That sucks man. Glad to hear it didn't turn out worse. I have the same setup and no issues with over 3K miles. I did mine myself and it wasn't that bad at all. Yes, I did use LockTite, safety wire and followed all the tq specs. I am a firm believer in "if you want it done right, do it yourself"...

Matt

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

I finally talked to the owner and at first he was talking about ways to fix it as if I was going to pay for it. I then told him that the instructions clearly say to use red Loctite and there was none used and I felt that is why the caliper came off in the first place. He then said he needs to look at it and if that is the case, then he will cover it. So I need to get it towed to him. My collector car insurance will cover the tow.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Just an update, the shop is taking responsibility and is working with me to get it all fixed at their cost.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

You mentioned 3 bolts, sounds like the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the parking brake backing plate, if so Wilwood installs those not the installer, the installer only has to bolt the caliper on, with 2 bolts.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenLvr View Post
You mentioned 3 bolts, sounds like the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the parking brake backing plate, if so Wilwood installs those not the installer, the installer only has to bolt the caliper on, with 2 bolts.

I appreciate you trying to help out the installer, but it's not the bolts holding the caliper to the bracket. It's the bolts holding the caliper assembly to the bracket that bolts to the flange on which the parking brake assembly is mounted on. The installer had to shim it in order to line it up correctly. Loctite wasn't used when it was assembled.

From the installation instructions:

NOTE: Please reference the caution statement at the beginning of the assembly instructions.
WITH THE BLEED SCREWS POINTING UP, mount the caliper (3) over the rotor (2) and
onto the caliper mounting bracket (1) using washers (4) and mounting bolts (5). View the
rotor through the top opening of the caliper. The rotor should be aligned in the center of the
caliper. If not, adjust the caliper by using 0.032 inch shims (6) by placing them between the
caliper mounting bracket (1) and the caliper (3). Add as many shim washers (6) as
necessary to achieve the correct alignment.

NOTE: The end of the bolt must be flush with
or slightly protuding from the head of the clinch nut. See Figure 5

. Place spare shims (6)
between washer and caliper mounting ear to achieve the proper mounting fastener
configuration. Always use the same amount of shims on both the top and bottom caliper
mounting bolts (5). Apply red

Loctite® 271 to the mounting bolt threads (5), torque to 30 ftlb.
Safety wire the caliper mounting bolts (5) using standard 0.032 inch diameter stainless
steel safety wire as shown in Figure 4. Please refer to Wilwood’s data sheet DS-386
(available at www.wilwood.com/pdf/ds386.pdf) for complete safety wire installation
instructions.

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds421.pdf
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 10, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Suresh

Regardless, the installer is working with me to make this right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode