Back on the Road today, after Suspension/Steering upgrades - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 10, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Back on the Road today, after Suspension/Steering upgrades

Finally.

I didn't think I was going to make it. It was about 3.5 months total. (work and 3 kids)
Did the JCW 3 leaf in the rear, along with poly shackles and front eye bushings. New KYB's in rear.

Did new springs and monroe's in front, with the Energy Susp poly front control arm bushings, new ball joints, new tie rods, new sway bar bushings and end links.

Also did the cardone steering box swap with new PS pump, etc.
The only thing is, it is identical to my previous steering feel. exactly. that's the only part I'm dissappointed in.
When I took the old box, it was the same amount of turns lock to lock as the new one (about 2.75 turns).

Maybe I need a longer pitman arm to make the steering quicker?
I bought new poly subframe bushings but haven't put them in yet. soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 10, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Back on the Road today, after Suspension/Steering upgrades

Are the KYB's gas-a-justs or GR-2s?
How does yours sit with the 3 leafs?
Got a photo?

Congrats on getting it back on the road!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 10, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

The change in stance is GREAT! I actually took off a half of a coil on the front springs and that dropped it more than an inch. I thought a half coil would do an inch but it looks like it dropped it over 2".

The KYB's in the back are GR-2's. Them and the 3 leafs raised the back slightly over its former stance. All in all it is exactly what I was wanting to change it to.

it used to look like I had 1,500 lbs in the trunk.

However, it STILL leans to the left like the driver weighs 750 lbs. I have a thread around here somewhere about it. I still haven't changed out the body mount bushings, and they are my suspected culprit. but it does sag on the drivers side still. I really hope the subframe bushings fix that.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 05:24 AM
Guess

Dustin, that lean is an age-old issue a lot of people experience. Everything is new on mine, right down to frame off, and mine leans a little that way as well. I used solid body mounts too.
It is what it is.

I forget the lengths of my steering arms and pitman, but my factory power steering setup (6 cyl. granny car originally) is SO quick and precise that it's scary. I bet it's not 2 turns lock-to-lock. Turning is totally effortless also. I like it, and will probably get used to it, but a little resistance in the steering wheel would be nice when I'm at speed. If I sneeze while cruising, I'll change lanes!!
Does yours have any resistance like a modern feel to it now, or the same?

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Glad you are on the road again. Since you haven't done your body bushings yet. Start spraying them with PB blaster or equivilant. It will help aid in their removal. It shouldn't take to long to change them out.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Glad you are on the road again. Since you haven't done your body bushings yet. Start spraying them with PB blaster or equivilant. It will help aid in their removal. It shouldn't take to long to change them out.
I have been hitting them with the PB, but that brings up a question; What is the best way to get to the bushings furthest to the rear? The middle ones, I can spray from the firewall, the radiator supports can be reached fairly easily. But, the ones in the back of the subframe I can only hit from the bottom, and I feel that it doesn't penetrate very well. Any suggestions?

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 08:20 AM
Guess

Pray that the caged nuts under the front seats are in good shape, and the bolts aren't rusted too badly to the nuts inside. Otherwise the seats are going to have to come out to get to them from above.
You may want to just go ahead and pull the seats, peel the carpet back and hit them a couple times with the PB. Give them a try from below first... but don't break the bolts off!!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Dustin, that lean is an age-old issue a lot of people experience. Everything is new on mine, right down to frame off, and mine leans a little that way as well. I used solid body mounts too.
It is what it is.

I forget the lengths of my steering arms and pitman, but my factory power steering setup (6 cyl. granny car originally) is SO quick and precise that it's scary. I bet it's not 2 turns lock-to-lock. Turning is totally effortless also. I like it, and will probably get used to it, but a little resistance in the steering wheel would be nice when I'm at speed. If I sneeze while cruising, I'll change lanes!!
Does yours have any resistance like a modern feel to it now, or the same?
Mine is so easy to turn, it feels like a Lincoln Continental or something. No resistance at all.

I'm thinking about a longer pitman arm, and a smaller diameter steering wheel.

I've heard stories about the mystery of the lean. I'm still holding out hope for the body mounts though

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Got a photo?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00390x.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	16670

^^ Took with my cell phone, I'll try to get better before and afters soon.

Here's an old stance photo

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Looks great!
You can spray the rear bolts from the top just under your seat. If you push the seats all the way back and move the carpet to the side you can get them with PB blaster even with the seats in place.

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Back on the Road today, after Suspension/Steering upgrades

It sounds like your steering box is a standard 68 quick ratio ? or a 3rd gen without special steering. Send it back. There have been others who have been sent the wrong box. You can also check E bay. Someone posted a link to an add that sold old type boxes with new internals. (no adapter fittings or different rag joint needed.)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Back on the Road today, after Suspension/Steering upgrades

This auction is over... look for a new auction in a few days.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I did the Cardone IROC box swap that everyone raves about also. Can still steer with my pinky, just like the stock box. I think that's the gamble you take when you buy parts from production shop rebuilders. Some day I'll step up and buy a Lee box.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

I'm thinking they gave me a regular 3rd gen box.

It was supposed to be "special suspension" and did have the 276550 #'s on the box. But that may mean nothing

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 10, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

UPDATED PHOTOS

Last edited by DVINNY; Jul 12th, 10 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode