Replacement Rear Drums - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Replacement Rear Drums

I was wondering what people are doing to replace their rear drums. I bought a set and after doing a nice neat brake job took them out of the box and realized no adjustment holes!! I have looked around and it seems everyone is selling drums w/o adjustment holes now. Do I need to pull the axles and replace the backing plate now? Just wondering what everyone is doing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Re: Replacement Rear Drums

Going Disc.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I went with discs in the rear too. Sorry...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 04:44 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

You could use a diagrinder and make your own...shouldn't be too hard

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

For some reason I don't remember fist gens having an adjustment slot in the drum. Is there one in the backing plate with a rubber or metal plug in it? I could be all wrong - it's been awhile.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
For some reason I don't remember fist gens having an adjustment slot in the drum. Is there one in the backing plate with a rubber or metal plug in it? I could be all wrong - it's been awhile.

They do on the drum, or at least my 69 does, err ugh..wont once I change over to disc.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Robert

The ones I took off had them and if the didn't not sure I would have gotten them off. I was thinking about making holes in the backing plates because I think that might be my only choice at this point. It's 8.2 non posi so it's not the rear that is staying for good but all the brakes are new now so when the time comes may want to salvage all that.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 06:09 PM
Banned
Bethanne

I might be misreading something here, but the adjustment slot for the star wheel is in the backing plate.

Drums are solid except for the holes for the wheel studs.

I'm sticking with drums in the rear, but I will upgrade to 9" aluminum units that came on later models.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Robert

Damn....that means I have the wrong backing plates. I was afraid of that.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I removed the drums brakes from my rear end when I started the restoration. I will look through my boxes of parts to see if I still have the original backing plates.
If I do, you are more than welcome to have them.
I'll let you know if I find them.

68RS Project - taking much longer than expected
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

OK, I took a look at mine. Late 68 build 12 bolt posi. The rear drum brakes have the adjustment slot in the hub. Rubber plug removed to view slot.
Interestingly, there is a perforation for another access slot next to a balance weight welded to the hub along with 2 other larger holes and 1 in the shape of the letter C along with a part # 3841177 and code W-2X.
No adjustment slot on the backing plate.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 10, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

I got a performance drum kit from these guys:

http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

Great results so far.

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 10, 05:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I had my drum brakes for a long time, still stock , they did have the drum adjuster slot but I never used it, I have a drum brake caliper measuring tool that I got long ago. It basically measures the inside of the drum on one side and on the other side , it gives you a measurment on what to adjust the brake shoes to, with the drum off. They slide off and on easily. I am old school. But I did just recently converto to rear disc brakes from RightStuff. They sell a kit that has everything you need, including E-brake cables.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 10, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Robert

I went back out tonight and checked again the backing plates don't have the hole. Guys are work recommended drilling the holes in the drums. That is a lot easier then pulling axels to get the plates off. My 68 is a late 67 build from LA maybe that matters?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 10, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Damn you guys are a worry...hell I should know this off hand
Anyway just when out and checked my orginal Drums in storage...they are the same as the pic above...
There is no need to use adjusting holes
If you put holes in or change a drum like that you will throw it way out of balance and create even bigger headaches..dont do it
You dont need access to the star adjuster to set the drums.
Start off like 1st installing new shoes...adjust up so the drum just slides on, stomp on the brakes a few times to align/center the shoes
Pull the drum off and adjust up again so drum just slides on, maybe 1 more time.
Throw the wheels on, put the car in reverse and hit the brakes about 3 times

That it adjusted
The star adjusters are 'self adjusting' but only do it it in good clean condition and firm braking when in reverse....described in the Owners Handbook.

PS Very important...NEVER adjust rear drums up with the Hand brake adjuster AND Always back off the hand brake BEFORE adjusting rear brakes.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode