67 Camaro Convertable Mono Leaf Springs - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 10, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sean

67 Camaro Convertable Mono Leaf Springs

I have a convertable SS-350. I was wondering if anyone has purcahased a set of mono leaf springs for their first gen Camaro recently. I currently have 5-leaf multileaf springs on the car, but want to put it back to the original mono leafs. Who makes/carries the best ones out there? I don't want to get a set that is saggy or too soft.
Thanks,
Sean

1967 CAMARO SS/RS 350
4 SPD CONVERTIBLE
TRIPLE BLACK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 10, 12:26 PM
Kevin

Re: 67 Camaro Convertable Mono Leaf Springs

You are really limited to one manufacturer, Eaton spring http://www.eatonsprings.com/

I ordered monos there a long time back for Jinx. They ask for the height you want, stock, or + or minus in inches from stock. Their mono does not taper like the originals.

For my install, I bought stock height, which I thought was too low. I messed up the install of them and they kinda bent after a while. I scrounged some original tapered monos and had them re-arched locally ($75). I am installing them right now and the re-arched ones fit much better and they look to be giving me the ride height I am looking for.

People say the re-arched ones don't last, but I dont mind. I scrounged a couple more sets and will get them re-arched too, so I can swap them if I lose height.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 10, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Have you considered the JCW 3-leaf mono replacements?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sean

No. I realy am looking for the factory look. My mu
lti leafs work great. I lust want to go back to the original set up. Has anyone tried the OER replacement springs? They claim to have the corrct taper and come in coupe and convertable rates.

1967 CAMARO SS/RS 350
4 SPD CONVERTIBLE
TRIPLE BLACK
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 07:16 AM
Kevin

Keep in mind there are two types of taper. Monos are thick in the center (where rear mounts) and taper in thickness to the eyes on either end. Original monos are also tapered in width (horizontal) from the eye ends (wider) to the center (smaller) then wider to the opposite end. The eaton I bought a long time ago were tapered in thickness, but not in width. The spring was the same width from end to end. This made mounting it in the rear a tight squeeze with the repro pads made for the original width.

Kevin

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Daral

I bought the Eaton ML001 mono leaf springs for my 67 SS 350 Coupe. I think they recommend the ML002 for an 67 SS 350 Convertible. Mine seemed to sit high after I installed them but my car was stripped so it had very little weight at the time. Now that I have started putting it back together, the height seems to be about right if you want a stock look. I used the poly bushing from Prothane and they fit the springs very nicely but you have to trim the sides of the rear mounting pads because they are too tall.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode