Brake Expert Needed on Wilwood Big Brake Set Up - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Brake Expert Needed on Wilwood Big Brake Set Up

I have a 67 with a 4 wheel Wilwood brake kit that I installed and I'm currently down to the MC plumbing. I have 12.9" rotors with 6 pistons Super lights (WIL 1407019D) up front and 12.9" rotors with 4 pistons (WIL 1409213D) out back. The MC is manual Wilwood 7/8" tandem with 3/8" rod (WIL 2609439P).

My questions are:

1. I plan to use the original power drum/drum distribution block as it makes sense to have and indicator for brake failure. I understand that the distribution block only senses pressure loss from either the front or the back and illuminates the brake light. I want to make sure this distribution block does not act as a proportional valve of any sort and will not be an issue with this set up???

2. I have a Wilwood proportional valve that I plan to install down stream of the rear brake line outlet of the distribution block. I want to make sure it it okay to use the distribution block and the proportional valve together in this manner???

3. Does anyone see any problems with this setup??? It is all plumbed except for the proportional valve which I wish I did not need as all the SS lines matched up beautifully with only a modification to the distribution block bracket.

Thanks!!!

Brandon
67 Butternut RS 4spd. Muncie w/ OD (0.87 4th)
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 12 Bolt, Hotchkis Springs, 3" Magnaflow
Wilwood Brakes, March Pulleys, Vintage Air, Foose Legends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Brake Expert Needed on Wilwood Big Brake Set Up

I have the same setup on my 68 but 4-piston calipers all around.
1. Yes, you can use the stock distribution block. I did and it worked/works fine.
2. I installed a SSBC prob valve on the frame rail under the driver's seat. That was the "natural" fit as that's where they were installed originally and my new 2-piece brake lines joined at that location. I initially ordered the Wilwood prop valve but I didn't like it as it too big and clumsy. The SSBC fits much better and it's well hidden. BTW, Wilwood says you should not need a prop valve with that setup. I installed it anyway.
3. No issues, you should be good to go.

Now about the Wilwood MC, not sure what finish you got, but if you got the "polished" finish read the thread below as I strongly disagree with Wilwood on the word "polished".
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=152796

Also, here are some other of my threads you may find useful regarding this overall setup.

Rotor rubbing caliper mounting bracket
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=159989

Rotor hats not seating correctly
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154835

Noisy pads
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158198

Matt

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Thanks for the input. I would rather mount the valve on the frame rail as it is already crowded at the MC. I may look into the SSBC valve. Also, my MC has a slightly better polish than the pics on the thread you sent, but it definitely does not meet my definition of polished.

Brandon
67 Butternut RS 4spd. Muncie w/ OD (0.87 4th)
408CI w/ 508HP/530TQ
, 12 Bolt, Hotchkis Springs, 3" Magnaflow
Wilwood Brakes, March Pulleys, Vintage Air, Foose Legends

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 10, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Here is the SSBC prop valve I used... For a few bucks you can have the MC finished to a real polish or just do it yourself. I paid $75 (I think) to have it re-polished.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode