Testing 60-0 braking response - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Testing 60-0 braking response

Power front disc\rear drum. Standard factory size.
I'd like to test the brakes and how the Camaro will react now that there's a couple hundred miles on them. In regular traffic using differing amounts of brake pedal pressure from normal to pretty firm, the car stops nice and true. No issues at all.

Well maybe I won't go as far as 60 to 0. More like 30 or 40 to 0. I don't want to crap myself. I want to lock them up hard and see what happens in case I'm caught in a situation in real traffic where I have to 'panic stop'. (before you preach on safety and where to conduct this testing and all that, I've got it covered)

It's my understanding and experience that the back end should NOT come out from behind me. If it does, the rears are locking up too soon. Is it true the rears should still roll for a short distance as the fronts lock up, then all 4 will bind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Testing 60-0 braking response

I've wanted to do that same test but feared for flat spots on the tires.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

'panic stop'
Hymm that more or less says it all...Panic
there is only 1 way to panic, old saying...."count to ten then panic in an orderly way"

Panic stops are caused by inattention and not enough distance.
Panic stops locking the wheels up means the car is going to travel far further.
A controlled 'panic stop' is the only way top go...and be a far test.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 03:53 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Maybe you should see how fast you can stop without locking up the brakes?
You could do that kind of test from a higher top speed.

Hate to see you flat spot a tire.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 10, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Testing 60-0 braking response

Joe - I used to test braking systems for certification in Calif.
The tests are conducted at 20MPH on a flat level road.
I used tow cones on the roadway- one for the activation spot and the other for the max. distance as a reference.
We had a deserted industrial spot we used and had to go sweep the road every few weeks at times.

Here is the CA state inspection section for brakes;

26454. (a) The service brakes of every motor vehicle or combination
of vehicles shall be adequate to control the movement of and to stop
and hold such vehicle or combination of vehicles under all
conditions of loading on any grade on which it is operated.
(b) Every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles, at any time
and under all conditions of loading, shall, upon application of the
service brake, be capable of stopping from an initial speed of 20
miles per hour according to the following requirements:

Maximum Stopping Distance (feet)
(1) Any passenger vehicle ........................... 25

(2) Any single motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 lbs. ............................................ 30
(3) Any combination of vehicles consisting of a passenger vehicle or any motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 lbs. in combination with any trailer, semitrailer or trailer coach .................... 40
(4) Any single motor vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lbs. or more or any bus ................................. 40
(5) All other combinations of vehicles .............. 50

26455. In respect to any motor vehicle designed, used or maintained
primarily for the transportation of property which is not equipped
with a plate or marker showing the manufacturer's gross vehicle
weight rating, for purposes of stopping distance requirements, the
weight of a vehicle shall be determined as follows:
(a) Any motor vehicle having less than six wheels is the
equivalent of a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight
rating of less than 10,000 pounds.
(b) Any motor vehicle having six wheels or more is the equivalent
of a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of
10,000 pounds or more.

26456. Stopping distance requirement tests shall be conducted on a
substantially level, dry, smooth, hard-surfaced road that is free
from loose material and where the grade does not exceed plus or minus
1 percent. Stopping distance shall be measured from the instant
brake controls are moved and from an initial speed of approximately
20 miles per hour. No test of brake performance shall be made upon a
highway at a speed in excess of 25 miles per hour.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah.... the only reason I haven't tried it yet is fear of flat spots. I don't have to keep it locked until I come to a complete stop.... just long enough to feel the cars reaction.

Beth, that's probably a much better idea, huh? I may be surprised how well it handles and stops without ruining a new set of shoes.

Steps, come on over and spend some time in NY. You'll learn that 'panic stops' aren't always the result of driver inattention or following too closely. Unless you're talking about the idiot who CAUSED the panic stop.

I can't even remember the last time I had to panic stop..... oh wait, it was yesterday on the expressway doing 63mph when an IDIOT decided it was better to come to almost a complete stop in the center lane because he might not make it over to his exit lane which was a mile ahead. Pickup trucks are real fun to stop and keep in a straight line going that fast with traffic right behind you.
THAT'S why I want to see what the Camaros reaction will be.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Nz, Auckland has been reputed to have some of the worst drivers in the world, and yeah we have heavy traffic too
Lane jumpers etc....If in heavy traffic just sit back , relax and leve a good space, who the hell cares if an idoit jumps in...may mean 30 secs to the trip...and less stress
Open road why get close, you cant pass you dont get there any faster...far more pleant trip.
"Oh look, brake light up front, got to lift off the throttle...oh dear they are all stopping fast, bugger now I have to move my foot to the brake in a second or to...driving is such a bloody effort"

I doubt very much anyone knows exactly how far their car will travel in an emergency stop...its a bloody sight further than you think....and how much further it does travel in a panic stop rather than a controlled stop.

If you really want to know how efficient the brakes are, borrow one of those instruments that sit on the floor and measure the Gs.
My camaro stock disc and drums has to be check in the 5month WoF check required in NZ on all cars.....cant rem the numbers but with controlled, non locking braking it is better than most modern cars today... thu the hand brake test is above legal limits, it does suck.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Steps, come on over and spend some time in NY. You'll learn that 'panic stops' aren't always the result of driver inattention or following too closely. Truer words have never been spoken !
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Steptoe

Kia Ora!

I'd be more worried about the stinking 24/7 rain in NZ (especially the north island). Oh, and the idiot US vacationers (like myself) driving on the wrong side of your roads (just once in 2 weeks, but the folks coming the other way sure looked concerned, especially the folks on the bus).

Good times,

Michael
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

M8 I cant figure how ppl drive on the wrong side...
Keep in mind my camaro is left hook so I drive ineffect, on the wrong side....ie I drive next to the curb.....
now if I was in a right hook (normal in NZ) and found I was driving next to the curb, surely I would know????
Also the road chamber ..feel ..would be right up the 5h1t.

Quote:
stinking 24/7 rain in NZ (especially the north island).
What time of yr..we do have a 'rainy season'...has a special name "winter " lol

Kia Ora
M8

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

My right side of the road transgression was short lived in Rotorua last November.

It wasn't like I was going down the highway on the wrong side for miles, I was looking for a gas station, turned a corner and ended up on the wrong side of the median. Very exciting drive, but short lived, about 200 feet.

We started our second trip to NZ in Christchurch, but it wasn't until we got to Wellington that the weather turned cloudy with dark, rainy skies but I wouldn't call it wintry because it wasn't particularly cold. However, it was November.

Great trip, nice driving, good people. NZ is like a mixture of so many places jammed into two big islands. Just wonderfully scenic.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
My right side of the road transgression was short lived in Rotorua last November.
Got family freinds there....locals are used to it...bloody tourists, thu they are normally on the look out for asian tourists lol.
Quote:
NZ is like a mixture of so many places jammed into two big islands. Just wonderfully scenic.
That describes NZ so well...start at the sth in the roaring 40s, and sth alps to sub tropical in the nth. Nov is sort of the last of the spring rain showers. Dec Jan Feb and into 3rd week of march is the consistant good weather except the odd tail end of cyclones from the equator.

Quote:
jammed into two big islands.
Auckland to wellington is about 7 1/2 hrs drive non stop Auckland to far nth about 7 hrs....not that big m8 lol

Did you drive the Auckland/Syney bridge? .................

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I only been to NZ twice (last year) and only made it as far (from the south) as Auckland; where we only spent enough time to visit the National Museum and a few pubs in the theater district . I'd like to visit again to see the parts north of Auckland.

The islands seemed big enough to me as I'm used to the Florida keys and such.

Yeah, tell me about the Asians, they hit my rental.

The Southern Alps are aptly named as they do look like the Swiss Alps, right down to the glaciers. And the fjords (Norway of course, if Norway was located in the tropics). And that beautiful drive from Greymouth south to the glaciers is just like going down the PCH in CA with the surf on one side and the mountains on the other. I especially liked the one lane bridges that served cars, buses, trucks and trains.

Too scenic. And you guys keep everything so natural.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 04:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Typically discs should not lock up but drag you to a steady stop just before the edge of lock up. If they lock up you might as well have drums.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If you guys are flying into or going thru Auckland email or PM me.
We are only 5/10 mins from the airport...if gong sth from the air port a detour of about 100yds
Nothing like a good cup coffee and a shower after a long flight.

We have had people do the same for us when overseas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode