New Brakes , what to buy - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 10, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

New Brakes , what to buy

I have a 69 camaro, Pro Touring type. Looking to upgrade my brakes. It came with factory disk brakes front, drum in the rear. It has a 12 bolt rear end with C Clip eliminators. Bolt in type. I have 17" wheels and would like to upgrade to a 13" rotor in the front. I am told you cannot put disk brakes on the rear because of the C clip eliminators??? So do I remove the C clip eliminators and go to the Ford style or just leave the drums on the back. Which brakes should I go with. I dont need a master cylinder I have a new right stuff power unit.
My budget is $1500 to $2000.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 08:47 AM
Tech Team

Re: New Brakes , what to buy

I have a 67 that came with drum/drum brakes and a 12 bolt rear. I opted for the corvette C5-6 brakes. I too have 17" wheels and I ended up having to remove the fins on the top of the calipers to have any clearance at all between the wheel and the caliper. I still only have about 1/8". If you are interested in the C5-6 upgrade I strongly recommend calling Tobin at Kore3! He was fantasic to deal with and always knew the answers to my many questions. 13" rotors are a stretch for 17" wheels but it can be done. Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Also look at CPP big brakes. They come with 13 inch fronts, and fit inside my 17's with no mods. They are heavy, but very effective and maybe a bit cheaper.

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 10, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
topher

hey Bob

I was also gonna go that way too but decided to go with the 4 wdb setup from The Right Stuff. not the big brake upgrade your looking for but if your set on getting the Big Brake upgrade, i have 13" fr 12"rear rotors with Speed Tech fr caliper brackets listed here on Team Camaro. I was going to do the C4 / C5 upgrade. Check em out if you want. good luck either way
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 09:53 AM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We offer just about every brake brand under the sun....If you want to give me more info about what you are after (budget, caliper material, rotor design) I can help build you a system!

We have many kits that work with C-Clip elim!

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I ended up buying the 13" wilwood 6 piston front's with drilled and slotted rotors. Didn't buy the rears yet. Matt let me know what you have to match the rears with C Clips. If any.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode