March Performance power steering pump problems! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

March Performance power steering pump problems!

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my March Performance power steering pump. It keeps spitting the fluid out of the top of the tiny dipstick hole. I just filled it a couple of days ago because I noticed it whining and found fluid all over the pump. I filled it and now, its whining again. Its definitely coming out of the dipstick hole though. You can see the dipstick just to the left of the valve covers on top of the power steering pump. Anyone else have this problem or know what's going on? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by jsukey; Nov 29th, 10 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: March Performance power steering pump problems!

Did you purge everything at install before starting it?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I actually bought the car about 2 months ago. The car went through an extensive restoration back in the early 1990's. When I bought the car the motor only had about 500 miles on it since the rebuild so I have no idea whether or not it was purged. The car itself only had 72,000 miles on it when it was last registered in 1990. Its got 76,000 on it now.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

It could have been overfilled. The hotter they are, the higher the fluid should read. On a Saginaw the fluid barely touches the stick when cold.

Usually though if it gets air in it it'll make an ungodly noise and you should be able to see foaming or bubbles in it.

For future reference if you ever swap out a pump or box, here's how you purge one.

-Fill the box and fill the pump up to the "full cold" mark.
-Lift the front tires just off the ground.
-Slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least ten times. Keep adding fluid as needed.
-Start the car do the same as above until fluid level stabilizes.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It has never made an ungodly noise. Just a bit of whining when the fluid gets too low. Even if it was overfilled, it keeps spitting too much out. I've got a noisy gear drive and I can hear the whining over that! I haven't noticed any foaming when I've looked down into it. The dipstick itself is only about 2 1/2 inches long and it doesn't have any marks on it. Right now it will just barely touch the dipstick as long as I thread it all the way in. But even that way it is still whining.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Sounds like it has air, bleed it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see what happens!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Since you're essentially the second owner it could've been damaged by the previous owner. If they didn't do the bleed procedure when they installed it, it doesn't take long to burn one up. Basically once you start one with air in it it's almost like running it dry. It's pretty easy to do an "oops" on something and have it run for a few hundred miles before it rears its ugly head.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I lifted the front wheels off the ground, went from lock to lock about 10 times making sure it stayed full. Then I started it and went from lock to lock again making sure it was full. I lowered the car, made sure the level was good and went for a drive. It started whining about an hour later. Popped the hood and it had spit the majority of the fluid out of the dipstick hole again. I've never seen a hole on a regular style power steering pump dipstick before. Wonder what would happen if I attempted to plug it. While I was purging it I watched it shoot up out of the hole about 6 inches! The pump doesn't make any irregular noise when its full. I just hope I don't have to replace this pump. I have no idea what this particular March Performance pump runs but I know its not cheap. I haven't seen it on any of the websites. What to do...what to do?!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

The valve may be bad.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The valve in the pump? I still can't find this particular pump model. Go figure!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 10, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

I don't think you bled it properly. I had this exact thing happen on a 67 Chevelle. I raised it turned wheels both ways many time, still puked. I then read one of my old shop manuals and it specifically said to turn the wheels to one side, I forget if it was left or right but it layed out a specific method, I did it and the puking stopped and all was well. I'll look up the instructions today and post what it says.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 11, 11:38 AM
Josh

I was searching forums to see if anyone has come across the same problem I had. I purchased a March Performance system and the brand New Power Steering pump and alternator were both bad. Not real happy especially when they donít stand behind their product. Change out the pump and see if the problem goes away. The pump will run you about $50 bucks.
Good Luck.

FYI.. I had a yellow top battery installed NEW at the time the alternator. And all new power steering hoses and gear box at the time that March system went in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode