Need brake help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Send a message via AIM to jimbo8397
Need brake help

I just changed my brake booster and master cylinder, when I drive about 10 mins my brakes start making a very loud squeaky noise from both sides. When I hit the brakes it seems to quiet down until I let off the pedal then the noise comes back. I checked the wheels and they are burning hot, that you can't even touch the wheel. What is this problem and what can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Need brake help

I would guess that your M/C isn't retracting enough to release the pressure. You might (as a test) try shimming it out an 1/8" (from the booster).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

you mean shim out the master cylinder away from the booster. Is that for the pin that pushes the booster.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The intermediate rod is too long and needs to be replaced with the correct short one or cut down. This problem arises often with MC changes. http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.htm#Booster
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Yeap...the piston is too long, maybe about 2 or 3mm, so its not letting enough of the fliud to come back to fully release the brakes.
There are different depts in the back of the MC and different length rods...
So you can either shim it out, which to me looks a bit bodgy (kiwi term )
Or use a pair cheap calipars to meashe the depth and how far the rod sticks out, then grind it so it has about 1 or 2mm play.
You can very carefully measure inside the MC just without taking the bloody thing of and have to re bleed.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

Why would the pin have anything to do with it when I bought the master and booster as a set and it came all put together. Shouldn't the company have the right pin.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Done ***-U & me nothing
have you checked it?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jim

I'm going to take a look at it this week, Going to the track at the end of the week. Don't want brake lag when I go.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

Should have, but this is the real world and quality control sucks at most places.
Also check the pushrod from the pedal into the booster, if its adjusted too long it can cause the same problem.
Just as long as its not pressing the rod in when the pedal is at rest.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 08:26 PM
Tech Team
ian

I just fitted my new booster & m/cyl from cpp & had sort of the same problem after checking a few things i found the white plastic boot thing supplied on bulkhead side of booster was to hard & when i bolted it all up it would compress push rod a bit so when i bolted master cylinder on there was about 5mm gap & it compressed pistons in the master cylinder.i fixed this by cutting plastic boot & it all good,may be something to look at????? Cheers kabrka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode