Steering Wheel Replacement..suggestions? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Steering Wheel Replacement..suggestions?

I was looking for pics and advise in the archives on steering wheel replacements. Found an older post from 07 and was wondering if there is any newer stuff out there.
I like the repo wood sets but dont want to spend $350 for the set. Also saw the cushioned rim (comfort grip) -I like the look.

Now grant has the 969 and I was wondering if anyone has this and can give me some pros and cons about it.
So post your pics and the pros and cons (also the size of the wheel would help) Thanks

69 tilt fl/shift 3rd gen box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech
shane

Re: Steering Wheel Replacement..suggestions?

i like grant. the kits seem to work well and are pretty easy to install. i did buy a kit from classics once that was junk. it was not even comapatable parts and they eventually refunded my money .

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech

i don't want to hijack your thread,but gingerbreadman 1977 i would like to know how you hooked up the darn horns with the wheel you have. i bought the same wheel but i bought it used so i don't know if i got all the stuff to hook up the horns.seems like I'm missing something.could you give me some advice or instructions on how to hook up the horn with the billet adapter.seems like the spring inside adapter is to short & I'm missing the wire inside that goes to blow horn.could you list the grant kit number you used to get horns to blow.i have new horns & have them hooked to a toggle switch which looks tacky.thanks

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 07:36 AM
Kevin

I have the comfort grip wheel, love it!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

That looks nice shane...has the look of the comfort grip but with a modern touch. Kevin is yours an original or repo comfort grip and does it have the chrome around the edge?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 04:30 PM
Kevin

It is a repro and has chrome around the edge.

Kevin

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The Grant 969 doesn't fit good to me and I just sent one back today. I went through a half dozen Grant wheels before finally deciding on one. The 969 is way too deep....I could barely hit the turn signal with my hand still on the wheel. It felt like it was too close to me also so that "elbow on the door, hand on the wheel" position didn't feel right and at 15" it seemed massive. In a '69 though you need at least a 14" wheel to be able to see the whole speedometer although a 14.5" is ideal.

I settled on one similar to Shane's but with slightly different spokes and with a leather wrapped rim. I like the spokes on Shane's but they didn't have them in the one I got. The mahogany collector's series has those spokes and I tried the black finished one but just couldn't get down with the piano black type finish. That wheel with a leather grip would've been perfect in every way for me but dang it I don't know why they only have it in wood.

I'll tell you this...if you wind up with a Grant wheel with the signature type mounting system which uses five alan screws, go ahead and get the optional installation kit. It'll mount fine with the standard cheap kit but the optional one is billet and looks a lot better. It's worth the $45. Most of the signature wheels come with an ugly black rubber sleeve.

I went with the 1130 but tried the 1178, 1180, 440, 969, and 990. I liked the 14.5" Grant classic GM one and it would probably be perfect but I didn't want to drop that much cash on a wheel.....wound up ordering several so I could see them in person and see how they looked and felt and then just returned all but one.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Aug 9th, 10 at 07:03 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
shane

anthony. underneath should be something like this. if you dont have that wire then your definatly not going to get any horn action. another thing that will commonly stop your horn from working is the horn relay in the engine compartment .

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; Aug 9th, 10 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Does the horn wire come with the kit , because I dont see any wires coming from my column now.?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 03:06 PM
Tech Team
Chet

Shane, what model # is that Grant wheel? Thanks.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 10, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
shane

69rook both wires should come with the kit. also with the kit comes the plastic horn button you can see dangling but i ordered the polished metal horn button with bowtie emblem you can see installed up above. you may have to buy the installation kit to get your missing parts . i believe ( but dont quote me ) for 1st and 2nd gen camaros you need installation kit 3196 .

brilliant i am pretty sure this is grant wheel 739 which is in the signature series and then in the elite gt model range.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

thanks for pictures i don't have wire that's hanging out.you have been a big help
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 10, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you get one of the Signature wheels that uses the five allens to mount the wheel, I'd highly suggest you also pop for the billet installation kit. It's $45 but worth it. You can use the $15 kit but the billet kit replaces the rubber accordion sleeve most of the signature wheels come with. Some of the wheels come with a billet sleeve, but then with the $15 kit you've got a rounded black cap over the end of the column and it looks kinda odd together.

5196-1 polished billet

5196 black luster billet

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I have a LeCarra and really like it. It even has a bowtie horn button.

-Randy

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

nice ...price??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode