69 rear shock mounting plates..help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

69 rear shock mounting plates..help

ok, i m doing the ls1 brakes on the back. Just in case the caliper on the driver side does not clear the shock, is there anyway to convert the shocks to non staggerd on the 69. Both of the shocks would be before the axles. Is there a shock mount that would work or is this a bad idea? Will I have wheel hop if I do that. Thanks

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 10, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 69 rear shock mounting plates..help

Several companies make shock relocating kits, but most require shocks that are quite a bit shorter than stock as they mount them inboard of the frame rail. I think you'd be way better off money wise finding another LH backing plate and caliper and staggering the brakes, plus you wouldn't be messing up the factory shock mount position. But hopefully you'll clear as is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BPOS; Aug 16th, 10 at 04:39 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Thanks Al,
I really do not like the staggered brake calipers like the way you did it. I want both of them on the back side, after the axles. I also do not want to modify any of the brake components, they were designed for a purpose. I know GM designed the staggered shocks for a reason too, but as far as performance what will happen if both of the shocks are on the inside?
Here is a picture of how it is now.

I found this mounting bracket that would bolt on the same way but it puts the shock bolt hole on the other side of the axle just like the passenger side.

anybody have any input or concern if this would work or not. Please let me know.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I have a 68 that I purchased, it came with mono spring and someone switched to mutli-leaf. They reused the mono spring shock mount, they were bent up pretty bad since they were ment for one spring and not five. I installed Lakewood bars and they had three different shock mounts welded on the plate. It looked like it would be a simple welding job to weld on what you need. 1/4" steel plate tab looks to be all there is to it.

383 stroker, mo-town-proformer-lunatti roller-power-glide-manual shift-transbrake-3800 stahlgene68ss

Side note: I took my car to a local show last weekend just for fun (it is not a show car). After looking around for awhile, I came back to the car and my wife told one guy kept coming back to the car. When he came back again I talked to him only to find out his son had owned the car at one time. He gave me all kinds of history on the car while he and his son worked on and raced it. I should have asked what years they had it. It was pretty intresting to learn some of the past infromation on the car. He put the frame stiffners and multi leaf springs on. It had been a 454 4-speed, a 350 turbo auto and now a 383. I would like to trace it all the way back but that would be difficult.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Your LS1 brakes might fit w/o doing anything to the shocks, so I'd try that first.

Mounting both shocks to the front side of the axle is much more involved that just using a new lower plate. You would also have to change the upper shock mount, which is part of the unibody. (Unless somebody makes a "S" shaped shock absorber ) Relocating the upper mount could be done, but would require some cutting, welding and engineering to make sure it is properly supported. Look in your trunk at the upper shock mounts and you'll get a clearer picture of what's involved.

The shock relocation kits I've seen are nothing more than a round or square tube bolted/welded between the frame rails with upper shock mount tabs on them. Pretty simple, but as I said, use shorter shocks, and mount them to the inside of the leaf spring which makes for tons of room for the caliper. I looked at doing that on my car, but I would have had to redo the tail pipes and didn't want to mess with it.

As far as not liking the staggered calipers, that's a matter of preference I suppose. From a "looks" standpoint, you can only see one side of the car at a time. From an engineering standpoint, it makes no difference. Look at some OEM set ups and you'll see rear calipers in front, behind and at the top of the axle (JL8) The rotor couldn't care less where it's being pinched from. The "big boys" who make rear kits for staggered shock cars where the caliper and the shock won't fit on the same side of the axle do the same thing. (Baer, Wilwood and Kore3 come to mind) Baer and Kore3 do it with PBR calipers.

On the wheel hop thing - I don't know. I think GM used the traction bar on 67's partly because of the non staggered shocks and partly because 67's only came with mono leaf springs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by BPOS; Aug 17th, 10 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Thanks Al, I will have to look into this a little bit more.
I will be taking out my axles this weekend and will mock it up to see if it clears.
The spacers that you used were 3/8 right?
Did you machine the axle hubs to clear the rear rotters? and how long should the studs be?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Al,
Do you have any more pics of all the ends of the cabels that you modified?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 10, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako View Post
Al,
Do you have any more pics of all the ends of the cabels that you modified?
Actually that was a typo on the spacers. I used 1/4", 3/16" would have been ideal. Sorry - no more pictures, but if you have a question let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode