Pumping Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Pumping Brakes

I got a CCP manual disc brake kit for my 69. It has drum brakes out back, a Strange M/C, adjustable protioning valve and braided steel and 3/16" steel lines.

As far as I know, I got all the air out of the lines, but I was wondering how many times do others pump their brakes before it has a solid feel?

I pump mine at least three, is that normal?

Thanks

Bruce

69 Camaro, 496, 10.34 @ 134.77 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Pumping Brakes

It should be solid with the first push of the pedal.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Time for more bleeding...
Did you bench bleed the master?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 10, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Well if a new install or something major like new slaves, we generally pump till clear usually about 5 times then 3 more for 'good luck'
If routine maintace being done like new pads etc...and we bleed anyway, which should be done and is recommened by manfactures and fliud manufactures to replace as routine maintance...bleed till new oil comes down and 3 more for 'good luck'

Never , never reuse oil even if it is new.
Never never use a bottle if has been opened or leave the top off when using.
Check the expiry date on un opened bottles.
This is not just safety but also prevents corrosion in the system and longer reliable life from components.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 10, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Yes I bench bleed the m/c.

I'm going to re-bleed things again.

A friend had a similar issue and found out that the push rod was too short.

I used the push rod from the Strange kit but still have the factory push rod as a backup.

Thanks

Bruce

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 10, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
A friend had a similar issue and found out that the push rod was too short.
To long is the normal complant, brakes dont release all the way....
Yep too short could effect the bleeding and pedal height...even to the extent that dont get full brake pressure.

you should have about a 1 to 2mm slack in the pin....mearure the depth of the MC with calipers and the pin....can also be done by backing off the MC a little knowing how far the gap is and measuring the distance the pin moves before it touched the mc.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

I say bleed it once more and then just drive it a week or two. I did a complete 4 wheel disc conversion/mc on mine and got it working pretty good but had to pump it once before each stop to get a good feel.

After several outings - whoala! Just started working great with no pumping. They are firm from the first touch now. That air will keep working out of there so don't give up. You'll love them after that.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I say bleed it once more and then just drive it a week or two. I did a complete 4 wheel disc conversion/mc on mine and got it working pretty good but had to pump it once before each stop to get a good feel.
Sry m8 I find that advice totally unacceptable...it is ppl who do things like that that kill incosent children, grandparents parents on the roads.....do it on a track...fine.

But to take car car on the road knowing full well the brakes are not 100% (and dont really know why to boot) is criminal , irresponsable and down right stupid

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Calm down Steps, things are cool.

I understand what he meant and I don't think Chad meant for me to go out on the road and drive my car with knowing my brakes didn't work properly.
I'd be a pure butt head for doing something that stupid.
I didn't like the fact that my family and friends were standing there but I didn't find this issue until I started driving it. This was the first real test I had with this car and things felt good in the garage but like they say, the real test comes when you drive the car.
So now my next step is to re-bleed things and make sure all the air is out and if that checks out ok, I'm going to check the pushrod and maybe install the old one.
Trust me, the last thing I want to be doing is going 130mph down the 1/4 mile and not have any brakes.......I don't want to be tomorrows head line news.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers mate

Bruce

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

There have been quite a few guys resently having dud new MCs

Quote:
Calm down Steps, things are cool.
Yeah i see u have your head screwed o m8...but when people are talking others out onto the highways with defefective brakes or dangerous stuff going on, Im just thinking "Now what if that was my Daughter and my 3 grand children crossing the pedestrian crossing and a car didnt notice, stops quick, and the defective car is coming up behind....."
Not good with 3 children under 4yrs.
Happened outside the school up the road about 5yrs ago...and no one was speeding, or following too close....know what i mean m8?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I truly understand your concerns, trust me I do. Safety was a #1 priority having to deal with a son that had a brain tumor. Every time we had to go somewhere our vehicle was gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Ask anyone that knows me, one reason for NOT putting my car back on the road is due to crazy drivers, young and old. The last thing I want is to watch my car being hauled off for scrap metal because someone decided to use me for a their brakes....would not be a good scene if you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Bruce

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Geez Steptoe. My apologies. My post was meant to be encouraging about hanging in there and not giving up on it and being in brake bleeding purgatory like many of us have been through - just takes time to get all the air out. I not talking about driving some car that has NO brakes! I'm giving the same answer I got on this - Keep bleeding!

What I'm talking about is in my case I could lock them up no problem on the FIRST pedal stroke but the pedal was still more mushy than I wanted and it wasn't until a full pedal stroke that I got the feel I wanted. After driving it a little while (WITH GOOD BRAKES but still a little soft - able to lock them up) THEN the final bit of air seemed to work out and now the pedal is firm from the first push.

No need to jump all over me. Sorry if it was misconstrued but I am NOT saying head down the street and HOPE you can stop. I'm not an idiot and I wasn't trying to give technical advice as much as I was saying I have just lived through this saga and wanted to encourage Bruce that he'll get it going.

Believe me, I'm the last guy in the world to suggest doing something unsafe. I have 3 little boys and couldn't imagine doing something stupid like that. Obviously this is a touchy subject and my fault for not wording it properly.

I'll shut up and just keeping READING on this site for a while longer.

Again my apologies for the way my post came across.

Good luck Bruce - I know you'll get it going soon. Can't wait to see more progress on your car.

1969 Camaro SS X66
496 BBC

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Geez Steptoe. My apologies.
Dont worry about it m8...
what was of most concern, is some young guy have an issue, search thru forums for info, find such a suggestion, maybe take out of context, think "oh yeah thats easy" with unpleasnt results...
Often when I do put things very bluntly like that, its no about getting stick into the person but more about those who come along later...and your children ....

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I feel a group hug coming on.....

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I feel a group hug coming on.....
Dont push it m8 .. going from a few posts here apparantly i dont like Americans lol

OH...as u maybe awere,'Yank" here refers to anyone American...How to upset a Yank? tell him to look up yank in the dictionary.....then tell him not to.
Being a Yank he will, they just dont take good advice lol

Geeze hope u guys have a sence of humour ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode