Adding Power steering/disc brakes to 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Adding Power steering/disc brakes to 68

Okay, obviously by my name, I am new to Camaros. I have had a few 2nd gens, things is my first 68. It was a basket case six banger. I have got it pretty much in the right direction. I have the front suspension all rebuilt, have a 330hp 350 sitting in it. Added a power steering gearbox, upgraded to front disc. Now here are my issues. 1. how do the ps brackets go on. 2. what alternator brackets do I need, the one I have does not line up. 3. brake lines do not match up to distribution block. 4. have headers, where does clutch return spring attach? 5. The aftermarket SSBC brake setup brackets cause the brake rod to not line up to the pushrod for the brake booster.6. Am I an idiot to take on such a project? I have every pretty much new, no junk, looking for a nice restomod that I can drive anywhere. I need lots of help, as I usually restore Mopars, but have always loved first gen Camaros. Any thoughts?
Dave in Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 10, 04:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: Adding Power steering/disc brakes to 68

Welcome Dave. First step to getting answers to your questions is to do a search in the forums. You can find tons of information here, you just have to spend some time searching and reading. If you can't find the answer, then post the question. Try to focus on one problem at a time. If you look at the whole project, you will get overwhelmed and frustated quickly.

1. Start by figuring out if you have a short or long water pump. My 67 and I believe 68's came with a short water pump on the 350's. The brackets are different for the long water pumps like the ones on the 69's. I am in the middle of changing from the manual to the power setup right now. My 67 pump bracket has two bolts ( I think 3 3/4") holding the bracket on the front driver side of the block and the lower part of the bracket bolts to somewhere on the front motor mount.
2. Again, search for pics - Try this: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ing+bracket+67
3. I have not upgraded my brakes yet but alot of the kits make you upgrade your brake lines to match up to thier brakes kits. Call them and find out.
4 Search for that one. I had to turn the bar on the clutch over to get it to work with my hooker comp headers.
5. Call the company on that as well.
6. No you are not an idiot. We all love our Camaros, you can just get overwhelmed sometimes when you look at all the things you want to do at once. Get a whiteboard or chalkboard or a wall, write all the things you want to do, then start doing them one at a time. Start with the ones that will get the car running first then worry about the other stuff. When you start crossing off items on the list, it will motivate you to knock out the next one. Focus on one small project at a time, don't worry about it, enjoy working on the car. Use the search function, then ask questions here, there are a lot of great people here to help out. All of us love to see another Camaro back on the road again, even if it doesn't have wing windows

Scott

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode