Replacement MC for big brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

Replacement MC for big brakes

Im switching to C5 brakes. I have the reproduction master cylinder on my car now that I got from CPP, its made by just brakes. Can anyone tell my what size the bore is? Im told I need 1" to 1 1/8". Can I get one that looks the same? Part numbers? I prefer stock looking parts whenever possible. Thank for any help.

Pic

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: Replacement MC for big brakes

What are you running now for front/rear brakes now (that will help determine what MC you have)? Do you have drum or disc in the rear? BTW, the pic you posted was the front brake caliper pic. Would try and post a picture of the current MC.

Now, if you are still going with power brakes (assuming from your signature pics), you will need a 1 inch bore MC for the C5 fronts. What are your plans for the rear (staying with what you have or upgrading to discs)?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Replacement MC for big brakes

The difference betwen the 1" and 1 1/8" you would never know unless swaping from one to the other and driving just nbefore and just after.
The bigger bore the pedal moves a tiny amount less between start of presuuew on brakes to full hard on....and requires a tiny little more pressure

The small bore a tiny amount of less pressure and the distance moved slightly more.
All this bigg bore small bore for drums dics 4 wheel discs etc has been hiped up by marketing propaganda BS and desktop theroists that have no idea how a basic hydrolic system works or the basics of displancement volumes and surface area ratios.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

At the moment I have the Corvette brakes up front and the stock drums in the back. I bought a Wilwood proportioning valve to balance them out. I plan to change out the rear brakes, but I figure if the axels have to come out I might as well get some new ones.

Im going to give the brakes a test with this master cylinder in place. I think its a 7/8 bore. I was mistaken, its made by right stuff brakes. When I change out the rear brakes will this MC still work?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

7/8 to to little volume for power brakes. Will make for a REALLY soft mushy pedal.

Factory style brake systems are designed for high volume and power assist. so that is what you need. 1 1/8 is best.

There are 1 1/8 stock looking masters, but without removing yours and measuring the bore, there is no way to know for sire what you have.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I think its a 7/8 bore.
yeah I agree now you are pushing things..
They will still work fine, but will be getting to the limit of the stroke to move enough fluid to full actuate the brakes to full lock up...be touch and go.
you will have a longer distance between start of pads on disc to full lock, and very little effort which gives the feel of being mushy, and if they do not fully lock...they will be mushy.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

After checking the Right Stuff Brakes website I was convinced this is a 1-1/8 master cylinder part number DBMC11. I took it for a test drive and the brakes do feel mushy with a longer throw. Hardly confidence inspiring, Its clear I have more work to do. I bled the brakes using a one man bleader kit from Harbor Frieght. Could this be the problem?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Could this be the problem?
yes it could...all the diference is a slight longer movenent (or put another way, better light pedel feel) betyween start of pads grip and piont of which they are hard on.
I have said this before..it is a very sad situation where a person cant grab a neighber, the wife, on of the children ot the postman...or the old lady walking hers dog down the street to pump a pedal for 10 mins.
If pedal down. hold / close/ pedal up doesnt work..there is something wrong and no fancy bleeders will fix what is wrong inside the system.

A final check on brakes after bleeding...sure have a good pedal right
now push down hard, hold for 1/2 min...let up on the pedeal a smiggin, not right off, hold then hard down again...if it goes a couple mm lowers....you have fade...something wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode