Disc brakes for small wheels? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Question Disc brakes for small wheels?

Does anyone do a simple conversion kit that'll fit inside 14" wheels on a 68?
I'll be upgrading my wheels eventually (and bigger brakes).. But i need something in the meantime to improve the brakes for certification. (They're sticklers for safety down here)
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Disc brakes for small wheels?

it would be easier and cheaper to get the parts to make the drums work properly for now.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I used a 71 Monte Carlo disc system, on my 68, the American 200S I got in 73, (still on it), I had to grind the parting line off the left caliper, I didn't touch the body just casting flash, been there since '88.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The guy is in NZ, we cant just go by stuff of the shelf...or down the wrecking yard, althu there is a hell of a lot of HT HK HQ and HZ stuff that is identical or very similar and interchangeable.

Quote:
Disc brakes for small wheels? ....simple conversion kit that'll fit inside 14" wheels on a 68?
I run the factory discs up front with 14" ss cragers, yrs back had those ugly solid magnesuim mags of the early 70s made in NZ..(cant rem the name, made by that company in Wiri that exported rims for ford and mazda) nps
I know..this iis for 69 and assume 68 the same
the HQ stub axle and ball jont are identical except there is a small casting knobb that needs grinding back...and mounts the
The bearings /seals are HQ,
The HQ disc both vented and unvented fit the camaro calapers and backing plate
I do not know If the complete unit...HQ calapers, backing plate (very diff to the Camaro) plus the disc are all interchangable but see no reason why.

Also in NZ the HQ discs, calpers, stub axle are basically a std fit for trailers.....

Where in NZ are you?... a JAFA ? or near by?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I would lean towards 15" at least with low profile tires.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Al

For factory type disc stuff it depends on which 14" wheels you have. I know that some 14" rally wheels fit over discs - that's what I used to have. I also know that some 14" steel wheels will not fit over discs. I like Derriks's idea - get your drums up to snuff and do bigger disco brakes later.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Didn't all the factory front disc only cars come with 14" rims?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Didn't all the factory front disc only cars come with 14" rims?
No Iont think so cause z28 and a few other options only had 15" and discs.
But on camaros like mine (an ex demo) I beilive was an opition.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 10:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

Baer's Serious Street disc brakes are designed to fit 14 and 15 inch rims. you can download the template from there website and see if the calipers will clear your rims.

http://www.baer.com/products/complet...ous-street.php

Template is here
http://www.baer.com/technical/templa...system=SERIOUS STREET&axle=Front&rotor=11

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 05:38 PM
Tech Team
ian

Dave
good to see another kiwi here!!! I have just completed my own big brake kit useing oem stub axle etc drum hub wilwood rotor hats & rotors made mine own caliper brackets with wilwood calipers. I used cpp booster & m/cyl with prop valve but i am running 18'' coddys on the front.if you want to go down the big brake kit way may be we can talk or all the drum unboosted gear i took off mine may be able to help you with yours???.cheers kabrka
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Yes, Baer has kit, there is also a stock style kit.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thanks for all your advice guys. It's enough to bring a tear to the eye. Steptoe: I'm a little north bound of jaffadom. And yeah, it's a pretty safe bet that if its american and over here.. someone gives a damn about it so there isn't much in the way of donor cars. Ian.. i'll be going down the big brake route later on.. but first i need to get it by the anal tendencies of the local lvvc. Thanks everyone for your advice. This site is the balls.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 02:31 PM
MCB
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We have the kit you need. They are specifically designed to work in stock 14" drum or disc wheels. On my website, call, pm or email!

Give us a call at 866-628-8746 We enjoy talking to our customers!

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

Email:

Hours: Mon-Fri 8-4 pacific

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Steptoe: I'm a little north bound of jaffadom.
Going past takanini turn off ..let me know m8...coffe always on.
MCB
Quote:
We have the kit you need. They are specifically designed to work in stock 14" drum or disc wheels. On my website, call, pm or email!
One thing of concern to us down under is not the best prioce on the shelf...its getting the parts to LA for shipping ...I see u are Ca around San Fransico....
Generally shipping to LA gets bloody more expensive than even air frieighting across the pacfic ocean....and we pay (from 1st OCt) 15% GST..sales tax on shipping, insurance..the lot... then add the current exchange rate at about 73c to the US$... then add the international exchange fees.....
The big thing is the freight+ tax.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 03:24 PM
MCB
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

We ship daily to Aust.

Kim my wife handles all the shipping logistics, feel free to pm her at MCB kim or Email her at [email protected] or give us a call 925-828-5555

She will take care of you!

Thanks

Give us a call at 866-628-8746 We enjoy talking to our customers!

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

Email:

Hours: Mon-Fri 8-4 pacific

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
14" wheels, conversion kit, disc brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode