Stiff ride - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Stiff ride

My 69 has a very firm ride,you feel all the bumps in the road. The car has an 1 1/4" solid front sway bar and a rear sway bar. It also has KYB shocks all around. The front suspension has been rebuilt with poly urethane. I'm thinking the massive sway bar is at least part of the problem. I would like to have a responsive but less firm ride. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks,

69 RS, 350,350th,8.5" 3.42 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Re: Stiff ride

I've heard that the KYB shocks are valved extremely firm. You may want to try swapping those out. I haven't had them myself. I am running Bilsteins as part of the hotchkis TVS system. The ride is firm but not too bad.

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Casey

Some on here will say the rear bar is not really needed and I agree, the Bilsteins helped out my ride a bit. Also loosen and retorque all the suspension fastners with the car on the ground. Loosen up rear shackles, bounce car around, retighten.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

It is more likely the poly bushings and KYBs than the sway bar. I say that because your setup sounds similar to mine but I have the stock sway bar, poly bushings and KYB gas-a-just shocks. On the front, I changed to KYB GR-2 and that helps. On the rear I am experimenting with some NAPA cheapo shocks. They ride better but don't keep the rear as stiff in the corners. I've driven a car with Hotckis TVS and it was great. I'm leaning toward that eventually.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
It is more likely the poly bushings and KYBs than the sway bar. I say that because your setup sounds similar to mine but I have the stock sway bar, poly bushings and KYB gas-a-just shocks. On the front, I changed to KYB GR-2 and that helps. On the rear I am experimenting with some NAPA cheapo shocks. They ride better but don't keep the rear as stiff in the corners. I've driven a car with Hotckis TVS and it was great. I'm leaning toward that eventually.
+1. I'm not sure you could build in more "stiction" than you have with the KYBs and poly bushings.

My (now sold) '68 ran a 1.125" front sway bar and 650lb./in. front springs and was surprisingly smooth riding because of the Delrin/Del-alum front UCA/LCA bushings and Koni shocks.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rod

if youre using the white KYB shocks (gas-a-just) those are way to stiff (feels like you're driving a floor jack?) switch to the KYB GR-2 shock much softer and cheap (about 20 bucks a pop) and a very capable shock, or if you have the budget use a QA1 adjustable,

Rodney

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech

Yup, I dumped my KYBs and never looked back.
The sway bar is not going to make the bumps more noticeable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 01:19 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I only have KYB in the rear and yes, it is too stiff!! KYB Gas Adjust are just to firm for these cars.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

KYB's ride terrible. Makes the car a Go Kart. Go Karts handle but do not ride very good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 02:39 PM
MCB
Senior Tech
MCB Parts

Send a message via AIM to MCB

The bilsteins are the best with hotchkis, they engineer their springs to be used with them. We have also done some konis with hotchkis with good results. QA1 is a good choice, we do sell them but big $$$$ over bilsteins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode